44- The Return of Consort Hua

She is sitting alone in her chamber. Her body grows skinnier than before and her eyes doesn't have the confidence it used to send out. She is exhausted of life, her life.

"My lady, here's your lunch." Her servant knocks her door and slide the food inside.

Consort Hua can not meet anyone while in her serving time. Not even her own hand maiden. It was very dark and lonely.

"Another day passes." She smiles bitterly.
She takes her chopsticks and pick ups the noodle. Used to be her favorite, yet now it tastes so bland.

She liked to think that the emperor favors her, love her. But deep down she knows that he doesn't. He never did. She knows. But she didn't want to admit it. Since the first time he saw her, his eyes were never looking at her. She's a woman, she can feel fakes.

However she never complained, the consort always does her best to live with it, wishing that one day he will be able to truly love her.

Without her realizing, tears fell down to her cheeks. She understands. She is a failure.

"Father, mother, your daughter is a monster. I am sorry. I am very sorry." She cries. Her parents died when she was young, so she was always alone.

A beauty like her, fails to make her own husband falls for her.

Her handmaiden hears her crying, and she feels so sorry for the consort.

"Hang on there my lady, tomorrow is your last serving day." She tries to cheer the consort up.

-
That morning is warm yet it is cloudy. Dozens of eunuchs and servants lines up in the hall. Their hands are full of beautiful robe and jewelries, already waiting for the time to come.

The bell inside the consort's palace rings, meaning that her serving time is over.

Tutu knocks the door nervously, it's been so long since she saw her lady. It must be very hard for Consort Hua, she thinks.

No answer.

A minute passes by, two minutes..

All of the servants worried about what happens. But they don't dare to say a word. Their formation looks like a flower, a standard welcoming formation for Hua Clan. They wait in silence, yet their minds are wondering all the worst reason why doesn't the consort answers.

She knocks once again.

This time, Tutu receives a knock back from the inside.

She feels relieved, "my lady, it's time."

"I understand." A small and weak voice answers.

"This servant will open the door.."

Consort Hua is wearing a simple white robe, her hair is tied in a low bun. Her eyes seems sad and tired. The black under eyes seems to tell a story.

Tutu feels sorry for her lady. She takes a deep breath. And put on a smile on her face, trying to cheer up the atmosphere. Because somehow, she can senses that everyone is depressed.

"Welcome back, Consort Hua!" All of the servants eunuchs and guards shout in unison.

"Thank you." The consort replies shortly.