52- A Letter

They held Consort Hua's funeral for a week. The final day is the grandest. Everyone from the emperor to the lowest servant is wearing white.

Sad and depressing music is being played day and night. The emperor stands and starts the final ceremony. The emperor and empress is sitting on a stage not far from the main area. They put Consort Hua's dead body on pile of woods and getting ready to cremate the consort.

"Her majesty, here's a letter." Mumu hands the empress a scroll.

"Not now, Mumu."

"No her majesty, you have to read it now."

"..." the empress frowns. This is a very sacred moment, Consort Hua's last moment. What is so important?

"A letter, from the consort." Mumu explains. "Please read it."

The empress is still frowning, she looks around before opening the scroll. Her eyes are focused in the beautiful strokes in front of her. She never knew that Consort Hua could write.

Your majesty,
Good morning.
This is me, your best friend.
Thank you for being nice to me. You are the only person who treats me as a person. When I first enter the palace, I was afraid. Afraid that someone will try to kill me like what they did to my father. But you are different, in this cruel  place called the forbidden city, you make me feel.. safe.

But I have to do this. The only reason I enter the palace is to get revenge for my family, for my clan. The Wei killed my family, disgrace our clan and seize our provinces.

My dear best friend, the emperor is the only way I can get power to do it. The emperor, your lover. This low consort doesn't have any face to meet you anymore. So I have to go. I am so sorry. I am so sorry.

Visible tear drops ruin the writing, but the empress can still read it. Her breath is heavy, she remembers all those years with Consort Hua, a timid and shy girl. She remembers when the consort suddenly block her, she was so confused. The empress read the last sentence.

You are my one true family behind these walls. May the empress lives for 10.000 years!

The date is two years ago, right when Consort Hua starts to change. A tear drops from empress's eye. All these years.. she was oblivious to the fact that Consort Hua is struggling emotionally. Breathing hurts her chest. The empress walks to the center, where Consort Hua's dead body is being cremated.

Her slow walk gathers attention. Everyone knows that Consort Hua is empress's rival, the audience starts whispering to each other, confused. With tears dripping, the empress walks closer and touches the chest.

It is dead silent. Everyone couldn't figure what is the empress doing. The audience frowns, they have never seen anyone interrupts a funeral before. The tension is so high in the air, nobody dare to say a word. They wait for her next move in bewilderment.

The empress slowly steps back and bow to the flame, to the consort.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there when you needed me the most, my best friend."

The crowd is taken aback by the empress's action. Some people gasp as it is inappropriate and out of nowhere. They are rival right? Her unusual acts makes everyone frowns.

The empress is still crying when she walks back to the stage. Her hand is covering her face. And suddenly, the empress falls down to the rocky ground. She is unconscious. Everyone stares at the empress, in shocked. The funeral turns into chaos.

"Call the royal doctor!" The emperor demands. He's face is white as he is shocked. What is happening?

Hey guys thank you for reading!
I made a YouTube account > Nata Swan
Please check it out if you'd like! ❤️

Guys thank you so much for the support, this story will end by the end of 2019. It was a wonderful journey! Please vote and share to your friends 👫