18- Im a Better Swordsman

"Your majesty, the hairpin that you requested has just arrived." Bai Lu gives him a simple hairpin.

The emperor finally smiles, he's been frowning since he came back from the hall and found Out that his daughter is dead.

"Your majesty, sorry for being impudent. But who is the lucky woman that get your heart?"  Bai Lu is very curious.

"You don't know her." He answers halfheartedly, still looking at the hairpin. "She will like it, won't she?"

"Of course your majesty.. but, what about the empress? Bai Lu saw your majesty had been drawing other woman these few weeks, also that your majesty always went to the harem house and come back in the morning."

"Is my love life your concern now?" The emperor asks coldly.

"This servant won't dare."

The emperor sips his tea and exhale a deep breath.

"Bai Lu, do you think she would be there tonight?"

"Who?"

"Niao Niao."

"Where?"

"In the harem house."

"Where else can she be? She must be there right?" This time, Bai Lu is truly confused.

"If that so, I should be going to the harem house." He stands and prepare to go. "If I came back before midnight that's mean she's not there." He says.

"..what?"

______

The empress goes to the harem house that day, even though they don't have any appointment that night. She just couldn't believe Consort Hua.. how.. and why?

She sits there alone, playing the Chinese harp in front of her. Her melody is joyful, unlike her heart. She keeps playing until the sun sets.. at least this could make her heart feels better.

Something is strange.. someone is here. She hears a slight movement from the tree. If she stops playing, the spy is going to realise that she know he's there, so she keeps playing. Her eyes are searching for anything that can be a weapon. If he's just an ordinary spy, she is sure that she can take him down. She's a trained swordsman after all.

She plays the notes wrong, so it sounds really bad. Niao Niao intentionally strums the string very hard until  the string broken off. Now she has her weapon.

When the string broken off, it makes the spy startle and fall from the tree.

"Who sent you?!" She points at the spy.

"Why do you think someone sent me here?"

"I'm sorry to say this, but do you know how dumb you sound?" She crossed her arm. "Then finishing you will be easy for me." She mumbles as she heading towards the spy.

She just need to tangle the string to his neck.

He dodges her attack.

"Not so easy, young miss?"

She must think of something.. her plan won't work. She examines his whole body. Right! He has swords.