10-The Court

Days come and go, nothing special happens to the emperor. He still tries his best in ruling the country. But in this new year, perhaps his wishes couldn't come true.

The court is busy that morning. Wei spies give us information that our enemies poisoned the river, that's why our people are sick. However, there are no other option to use except for the river. Their daily life are so effected. If this go on, many lives will be gone.

Also, Consort Hua's child is soon to be born. The Hua Clan asked for more chairs (in the court) and more provinces. Of course this makes other Clan jealous and show their disapproval.

The morning assembly is heated, so does the emperor. This is not the right situation! They don't care about the country's problems, only their needs. They are too greedy, it makes the emperor disgusted.

"This servant asks for your majesty's kindness. Three provinces in the west would be a very generous gift for a Clan that bear your majesty a heir." Minister Hua stated. They highlight the point that Consort Hua will soon give a birth.

"This servant believes that is way too generous, however, we already have a crown prince." Minister Tu gives demeaning look. With a very sarcastic tone, it makes Minister Hua angry.

"What do The prime minister think?" Minister Wei asks. Wei Clan always use this kind of strategy to show their opinion.

"This servant agree with Minister Tu." with that simple answer, Minister Hua's demands is declined.

The prime minister is from Lu Clan which is the same Clan as the empress.

_______

A pregnant beauty is drinking her usual afternoon tea. With help from her servant, she dresses casually. A sudden knock on the door disturbs her peaceful lunch.

She gives commands by moving her eyes slightly to her servant. Which means to open the door.

"What?"

"Minister Hua wants to meet your majesty."

"Let him in."

A 40 years old minister Hua enters the room with anger. It shocked the Consort. Her uncle is not easily provoked.

"What is wrong uncle?" Consort Hua pour the same tea to his cup.

"That Lu Clan! They think they still have power huh?!"

"Slowly, slowly."

"The empress title is just a gift! How dare they oppose me?!"

Minister Hua explained everything upsetly. Of course he added some salt to make the story more interesting. At the end, Consort Hua also gets fed-up with the Lu Clan.

"One more step and I will be the empress. I'll let you enjoy your short moment!" She laughs hysterically, holding her belly.

"Just watch what is stupid Consort can do!"

_____

The empress is also stressed because of the political state. But at least she still has her children. However, they are soon left for training again, and the empress will soon be lonely again.

'For a woman, life itself is a punishment." *
[Quoted from Sadhna movie (1958)]

She writes a short poem, but has a very deep meaning. 100 years of ones life, described in eight words.

Yes, the empress has the best of the best. Yes, she gets everything that she wants. But she doesn't want anything anymore. The beautiful hanfu, shining crown and jewels, what if she says she doesn't want it? Will they believe her if the Phoenix says that she's unhappy? If she's lonely?

Her whole life is a set of rules. She is trapped with her title. Behind that grand output, does anyone know it's all to hide her insecurities? Hiding her real pitiful self? No. They thought being the empress means power and happiness.

This is the real story of an empress, that no one knows. They look up to her. People bow before her for this, for her sacrifices. For her smiles when her soul rot.

A tear drops from her eyes. Ruining her writing.

"What's wrong with me?" She wipes her tears away.

"Nubi knows that your majesty is strong, please don't hurt yourself."

"Mumu it's hard, sometimes I want to give up."

_______

For the emperor, things are more complicated. It is too much stress for him. He tries to refresh himself by going to the harem house, but his concubines are all the same. It bores him. Always the same powdered white face and red lips, the same shy smiles and fake politeness. Too much trained, they are not sincere.

The emperor frustrated, he couldn't do anything for his subject! The fact that it's still winter makes the condition worsen.

"Your majesty, Consort Hua comes for a visit."

Oh, why is she here? The emperor had enough at the court, now in his bedroom?

"Hm."

Consort Hua enters the room gracefully with her always smiling figure.

"This lowly Consort wishes your majesty a long life."

"You may rise."

"Your majesty, how are you?"

The emperor is not in the mood for any chitchat, so he just quickly stated.

"Is there anything that consort Hua needs?" Even if the emperor is tired, he can not just shove her out. Because it is Consort Hua.

"The empress, she plans to boycott Hua Clan isn't she?" Consort Hua says looking all sad.

When she mentions the empress, the emperor suddenly feels down. He's been paying attention at her these few weeks and the empress literally ignore his affection. It breaks his heart. Because he really loves her.

Where did he go wrong? What should he do?

She doesn't used to behave this way. What makes her change so much? Does she hate him? The emperor actually frustrates about this so much.

"This emperor doesn't think so, please don't think about it that much." The emperor finally answers.

Living in the forbidden city is too stressful isn't it? Well, nobody seems to be happy at the moment, but will they find happiness at the end? See you next week!