Part Fifteen

PART FIFTEEN ~

Ferrin let out a pained gasp, spluttering blood, as the arrow wedged itself into his back. He staggered forward, and Legolas merely watched in horror as he swayed and collapsed to the ground with a cloud of dirt. As movement returned to his limbs, he found himself leaping towards his friend, muttering his name in a distressed tone.

"Ferrin. No. No. Ferrin, please, stay with me!" Legolas muttered, landing beside his friend and clutching his clammy hand. "Please."

"My... my Prince..." The words were uttered from his mouth just before his jaw slackened and his eyes grew dim and lifeless. His head flopped to one side, and his hand slipped from Legolas' loose grip. The Prince let out a silent sob, before gently running his fingers over Ferrin's eyelids, shutting them from the blood-stained world.

Anger boiled inside him, rage coursing through his veins like an inferno. He gripped his bow, his shoulders rigid, as he leaped up and trained his deadly weapon on the first target, already drawing and nocking a silver-tipped arrow to the string. He released without hesitation, hastily sliding another arrow from the quiver hanging loosely from his back, and sending forth another whistling missile. His eyes burned with triumph as the arrows wedged themselves into the vile creatures before him.

More poured out from the ruins and trees, and Legolas took to slashing and biting at the orcs' exposed skin with his daggers. He jerked forward, out of reach from an outstretched war-hammer, and skirted through the undergrowth that bordered the village, before stabbing the orc with a flick of his wrist.

The other elves were locked in fierce combat around him, some clutching wicked daggers and throwing out relentless assaults, others shooting arrows from sleek longbows. Legolas' gaze skirted through the ruins, trying to pick out anything peculiar; perhaps another ambush in waiting.

The Prince suddenly gasped as he picked out a large, hazy figure amongst the shadows of the trees, and his ears pricked up as a low grumble resonated through the crumbling buildings.

"Wargs!" The warning barely escaped his lips as the vast, furry beasts shot out of the forest, growling menacingly as they threw back their grotesque heads and cracked open their jaws, bristling with rows of wickedly jagged teeth.

One of the beasts gingerly approached Legolas. It's well-defined muscular body moved clumsily as it raked its talons on the fragments of a house and reared out its head to utter a menacing cry. The Prince jerked away as the Ward suddenly lunged forward, claws outstretched. He skirted away from the bloodied talons and grinned patronizingly at the beast as he drew his daggers in front of him. It cowered backwards, before hurtling its hefty body at Legolas; he skirted away deftly from the beast before slashing out his daggers. The assail caught the Warg on the side, and crimson blood began pooling out of the wound and onto it's dark fur.

The Warg howled and reared back, and Legoas took the opportunity to stab it twice more. It fell dead with a shriek, and Legolas leaped to the aid of another elf, about to be impaled on an Orc's rusty blade.

As he struck down another Orc with a blow to the chest, Legolas was impervious to its unfazed comrade behind him. Until it was too late, that was. The beast stabbed it's sword straight through Legolas' arm, penetrating the skin with a deep gash. Pain rippled through his entire body, but still he found the strength to swivel on his heel and decapitate the beast. As the orc fell dead, Legolas clutched at the bleeding wound and stumbled away from the battle, but his actions did not go unnoticed, and moments later he felt more pain rip through his leg as the keen tip of a Warg's claw sliced through the skin. He winced profoundly, his face contorting in pain, as he ducked from another blow, sending another wave of agony rippling through his body.

His comrades were not impervious to his injuries, and several elves quickly came to Legolas' aid as the Prince threw himself to the ground, clumsily dodging the Warg's snapping jaws.

"My Prince!" An elf cried, slashing at the Warg and bounding to his side. "My Prince, are you okay?!"

Legolas nodded weakly, cringing, but pain was evident in his knitted eyebrows, and blood was pooling around his collapsed figure.

"I-I'm okay..." he gasped, struggling to pull himself up as pain coursed through his leg. He tightened his grip on his gashed arm, trying, in vain, to stem the blood flow. Tathar hurried over after seeing to last, remaining orc, and immediately bandaged up his wounds with thick strips of cloth.

Legolas nodded and Tathar pulled him up. He winced at the sudden movement, but tried to conceal his pain by resuming an impassive face; the action did not go unnoticed by his fellow companions.

They draped Legolas' arms over their shoulders and supported him as they walked out of the village. Jets of pain streamed through his body with every step, and he had to restrain himself from crying out.

Legolas tried his hardest to keep a steady pace, but the forest swam unsteadily around him, and his walking slackened until he was stumbling along with the aid of his friends. He urged himself to move faster, still clutching tightly onto the necklace, but his leg would not allow it as it began to grow numb.

After some time, Legolas felt his surroundings begin to fade and he was overcome with a hazy darkness as he drifted out of consciousness. The other elves continued to drag him through the silent forest, until they eventually reached the gates to Mirkwood Palace, bordered by a dozen sentries protecting their home.

They passed through the immense doors, and a detachment of elves carried Legolas to the healing quarters, while others were sent to inform the King of his son's injuries.

The prisoner, Taryn, was erased from their minds for the time being as the elves of Mirkwood focused entirely on the recovery of the Prince.

~

A/N: Not sure what's with that last bit. It's, like, almost twelve o'clock and I'm too tired to edit it, so I'm sorry if it's really bad and doesn't make sense ._. I said I'd post tomorrow, but I've been in the mood to write this week, and we're off school, so I figured I might as well update now ;) Anyone complaining? I hope not...

Sorry this part is short. Thanks for reading, anyway!

Please VOTE!
~ _imagine_fantasy_