Part Twenty-Four

A/N: Holy Hobbit! You guys see the new 'Battle of Five Armies' trailer? It's so amazing! But why Pippin's song?! I cried when he sang that in ROTK. I'm so going to cry throughtout the whole film! But their armour! Omg! The elven armour looks beautiful! And the dwarven armour too! Anyway. Just watch it if you haven't already!
Enjoy the chapter! :)

PART TWENTY-FOUR ~

The orcs charged out of the trees at rapid speed, snickering as they pointed their weapons towards the baffled elves. Taryn shot up instantly, whipping out her daggers. All dredges of sleep slipped away immediately, leaving her heart thudding rapidly and her head pounding rhythmically. And rather painfully. Feeling the blood pump round her body, she felt herself slip into the spirit of battle. A feeling she hadn't had since she killed the elf; when the possession first occurred. Her head spun as she sunk into the shadows, a hasty plan forming in her mind. The beasts hadn't noticed her yet, meaning she still had the element of surprise. She chuckled quietly to herself as she merged with the shadows of the trees, speculating the scene a few paces away.

"Where's the girl?" One of the orcs hissed through gritted teeth, it's grip on it's sword tightening in anger as it realized she was not present.

"What are you talking about?" Legolas growled in return, his eyes flickering briefly to the shadows with which she was obscured.

"Don't test my patience, elf," It spat, striding forward to poise it's blade at Legolas' neck. The other elves tensed, and Tathar clenched his fists, but none made the rash decision to attack; The Prince would be dead within seconds if they trod on that route. "The one with the connection to the witch."

Taryn froze.

Legolas froze.

Tathar froze.

Each one let out a slow breath in unison, glaring at the orc uncertainly.

Legolas gulped tentatively, the lump in his throat gently brushing against the edge of the blade.

"We have no girl amongst our company. As you can see." He gestured towards the other elves with trembling hands, trying to keep his face impassive and his breathing regular.

"I can never tell with you elves and your flowing hair," The orc teased, grasping the fact that they perhaps had the wrong company. "But since you don't seem to have a woman amongst yourselves, I suppose I'd better let you go."

The elves and orcs stared at each other soundlessly for a long minute, before the beasts burst into a raucous laughter, clutching their toned stomachs as the clamour rang through the forest, startling creatures back into their burrows.

"Who am I kidding?! Tie them up!" The speaker withdrew his sword from Legolas' throat and shoved him to the ground forcefully, before two more orcs stepped forward and hauled him back onto his feet, clutching at his arms in a wickedly tight grasp; their vicious nails dug sharply into his skin and he bit back a protest.

Taryn observed from the trees; silent and intent, like an eagle stalking it's prey. She had two options to narrow down her actions; she could either run and never lay her eyes on an elf again, or she could follow them and rescue her saviour as soon as fate allowed. Of course she wasn't going to abandon them; Legolas saved her and, although she tried to keep the emotions down, she knew, deep in her heart, she was developing feelings for the Prince. How could she not?

She was jolted back to the present as the orcs began to grumble and mutter amongst themselves, and took each elf in an iron-like grip, binding their hands with yellowing pieces of cloth, and gagging their mouths with strips of the same material; no doubt already used on another unfortunate soul.

Moving closer to the mix of elves and orcs, she caught snatches of conversation amidst the clamour of armour and weapons rattling with each movement.

"Why don't we just kill 'em all now? I don't like the look of that blonde-haired elf." It was, no doubt, referring to the one and only, Prince of Mirkwood.

"I think the boss wants 'em alive for now... might have information on that witch-girl."

Witch? That must be the thing possessing her! But what on middle-earth was a witch doing in Mirkwood forest - if she was even located in the forest itself. And, more importantly, why was it so interested in Taryn?

"Ah, I see." The orc paused for a moment. "Wait, what witch?" It's companion instantly thwacked it round the head with it's club, sending it skidding along the floor and growling in protest, rubbing his scalp where a bruise was surely forming.

"Don't be such an idiot. The witch. The one who's-"

The orc was never allowed to finish his sentence as he noticed the orcs were already beginning to leave with the elves, and one of them gestured towards them. "Oy, you! You coming or what?!"

Taryn had been so immersed in listening to the conversation that she hadn't realized their departure. She took a step forward, hoping to follow in the shadows, when a twig snapped precariously under her foot. The distinct sound seemed to amplify even more as it ricocheted off each tree like a missile, making Taryn cringe and freeze. She remained rooted to the spot as the orcs became alert, their eyes narrowing and nostrils flaring. They peered through the trees in silence, their ears pricking up to catch any noise, their knuckles darkening as they gripped their weapons even harder.

After a moments silence, apart from the distant grumbles of the departing party, one of the orcs shook it's head. "Must have been a bird."

They both shrugged and sauntered off to rejoin the rest of the company, leaving Taryn shaking with relief. She shuddered and closed her eyes, breathing in the cool night's air, before leaping nimbly after her captured companions.

~

A/N: A witch!? Yeah, a witch! Idek where I'm taking this story - I had it all planned out, but then I decided to add this mysterious 'witch' and I've totally messed it all up!

Ah, well! I hope it's added a bit of a twist to it. Unexpected? Probably not - I'm not good at that stuff.
I have a feeling this is going to have more parts than intended, so I'll try and make each part at least 1000 words. And I'll try and update often, since its the holidays! How's yours going, btw? Is it weird to say that I'm starting to miss school and the routine of waking up early? I don't like being lazy. And I don't like hot weather ._.

Anyway. Keep VOTING and COMMENTING, you precious people!
~ _imagine_fantasy_