Part Twenty-Nine

PART TWENTY-NINE ~

Taryn felt her cheeks flush crimson as she recovered from her shock and looked down into the sapphire eyes of a young elf. A beautiful shade, but not as enthralling as Legolas'.

She quickly dragged her eyes from his and pushed herself off him. "I'm terribly sorry, sir. I'm so clumsy at times," she mumbled as she heaved herself from the floor and offered the elf a hand. He took it with a grin and she pulled him up.

Taryn's cheeks were growing redder with each second, and she tried to hide behind her hair as she brushed down her dress. He began chuckling, shaking his head. "You needn't apologize. It was my doing; I ought to have been more alert." His voice was deep and pleasant, as was his face; perfectly carved features set upon a smooth, rather pale complexion; eyes of the deepest sapphire; hair of the richest brown.

Taryn offered him a smile and a curtsy. He seemed well spoken; perhaps he was of some importance. "Taryn," she introduced in a polite voice.

"Arendyll. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Taryn," he greeted with a swift bow. "Are you currently busy?"

Taryn considered this for a moment; she had a lot to think about, but she wasn't currently doing much. She felt inclined to spend time with this elf, yet a bulb of guilt was starting bloom in her gut as she thought of Legolas.

She shook her head.

"Good. Then I request you walk with me through the gardens. Rivendell is a beautiful place, and my schedule does not permit me to visit often. I would rather spend my time here with a beautiful woman, such as yourself, than alone."

Taryn merely smiled, unsure of what to say. He offered out a hand and she took it gingerly, her mind racing and her heart jolting in her chest.

He took her arm in a gentle grip and led her back the way she came. She clenched her fists, trying to conceal her trembling fingers. Why was she so nervous all of a sudden; perhaps it was being with a handsome elf. But what about Legolas? She had too many things on her mind...

"Looks like you're lost in thought, too," he said, and Taryn realized he'd been peering at her expectantly. He must have been talking and she not concentrating.

"Oh, gosh! I'm terribly sorry, again!" She exclaimed, mentally kicking herself. She was making such a fool of herself! "I promise you, I'm not usually like this."

Arendyll chuckled, waving her apologies away. "I understand, truly. You must have a lot on your mind. I also have things troubling me."

He sighed and lapsed into silence, and Taryn felt prompted to inquire, hoping she wasn't being too nosy. "Do you want to talk about anything?"

Arendyll shook his head, a smile still plastered on his face.

Taryn became aware of a cool breeze on her cheeks and realized they'd made it outside. The pale sun was slowly sinking into the horizon, tinging the sky a watery pink. The scant rays still breaking through the trees bathed her and Arendyll in a golden hue and she relished the fading warmth.

"It's truly beautiful isn't it?"

Taryn merely nodded, too lost in a daze as she stared, transfixed, at the sunset. The sky was being coloured with many other hues now; oranges, purples, reds. Arendyll spoke the truth, though she was unaware he was gazing directly at her.

"So tell me, Taryn," he said after a pause, breaking her from her awe-inspired trance. "Where is it you come from?"

Taryn's heart sank a little lower. "My home used to be a small town on the borders of Mirkwood," she replied, her voice quavering slightly.

"What happened?"

"It was raided by orcs."

"I am truly sorry."

Taryn nodded and silence reigned once more. She suddenly became aware of how close she was to Arendyll; her arm was pressed against his and her fingers brushed past the elf's as she raised a hand to her eyes, shielding them from the last blinding rays of the sun, before it sank out of sight.

A heaviness settled upon them.

Abruptly, a bell began to toll in the distance, a shrill sound against the comforting silence.

"I believe that signifies the feast is ready. May I have the pleasure to dine beside you?"

Taryn rather wanted to sit next to Legolas to discuss the matters of the witch, but she hadn't the heart to reject Arendyll's company after he'd been so pleasant to her.

"Of course," she forced herself to reply, offering him a faltering smile. He led her back through the building and to the dining hall, where elves were bustling about and setting various platters on the table. Legolas and Tathar were already seated; the Prince's eyes were darting about the hall in an attempt to search for someone amongst the mass of elves. Perhaps he was looking for Taryn; she felt an immediate surge of guilt. Especially when she noticed the empty chair beside Legolas. She offered him a wave and a grin as she took a seat further along the table, beside Arendyll and another brown-haired elf, with rather dull features. He nodded back, though the smile he proposed was weak and wavering.

She lowered her gaze, deciding she wasn't as hungry as she had once been, and slowly nibbled on a leaf of lettuce. She spoke and laughed when prompted by Arendyll, but instantly missed the company of the Prince who had risked his life to set her free, and regretted her soft heart.