Part Thirty

PART THIRTY ~

By the time the feast had come to an end, Taryn's cheeks were flushed and stinging from a hefty amount of forced laughter, and the heat that had circulated amongst the elves. From conversing with Arendyll, she had learned of his business in Rivendell; his family were rich merchants in need of new customers. He had been sent to meet with Elrond and discuss possible partnerships in the industry of silk weaving. The council had not gone as planned, according to the elf. Though at that point, Taryn's mind began to drift. Her interest in his discussions were merely a facade, and she repeatedly found herself looking longingly at Legolas, finding himself amongst a crowd of beautiful elves. Much more pretty and graceful than herself.

She sighed as she stumbled into her room and collapsed on the bed, and held back a groan as there was a knock at the door.

"Taryn?"

Arendyll.

Bracing herself and gritting her teeth, she opened the door and forced another wavering smile.

"Arendyll!" She exclaimed, mustering as much surprise as she could into her tone.

"Sorry to bother you at such a late hour. I was wondering if you'd care to walk with me once more; perhaps get some air after being caught amongst a hefty crowd."

Taryn nodded. Perhaps after this he would leave her alone for the rest of the night. She laced her boots back up, moving her hands painstakingly slow in an attempt to perhaps annoy Arendyll, but he waited, as patient as ever, with a sickly grin on his face.

At first he had appeared pleasant and somewhat handsome, but now her thoughts of him were beginning to turn sour. Perhaps it was the doing of the witch.

They walked slowly back to the gardens; the clamour of the elves from Elrond's feast began to dim as the dining hall started to empty. She listened to Arendyll drone on about his business, her thoughts drifting to those of Legolas and her fate; the Prince would have to leave for Mirkwood soon, but what of her? She can't travel back to the place in which her doom awaits; the king would execute her on sight.

"What is your business here, may I ask?" She snapped back to the present, becoming aware of Arendyll staring directly at her as they took a seat on one of the benches outside. Fortunately, she had caught his question in her daze.

"I travelled with Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood, and a company of elves sent by Thranduil to inform Lord Elrond of Uruk-hai sightings near Rivendell," She explained in a flustered manner. He seemed interested, however, and pushed deeper.

"Why you, a human amongst elves?"

Wracking her mind for an excuse, She stared into the distance. "They found me lost in the forest on the way; Prince Legolas insisted they helped me and took me here. They told me of their business and permitted me to join them," She added hastily, hoping her answer covered all relevant points.

Arendyll nodded. "That was kind of them."

Taryn hummed a reply and leaned back against the bench, feeling the breeze dance along her cheeks.

"Will you be staying here?"

"I believe so; Prince Legolas is arranging my stay with Elrond. Just until I find somewhere to go."

Arendyll lapsed into silence. As did Taryn. She suddenly became aware of, again, how close she was to the elf. Her arm was pressed firmly against his, her head almost resting on her shoulder. She had a sudden urge to do just that, and allowed her head to gently drop onto his shoulder, her breath rousing the light hairs on his neck.

He grinned, also leaning back.

"You're a beautiful woman, Taryn."

This caused her head to snap up in surprise, not expecting such a comment from an elf as fine as himself.

She searched his eyes, gazing deeply into the sapphire blue, and before she knew it, his lips were pressed against hers. She took a few seconds to recover from her shock. Their noses brushed lightly against one another as she deepened the kiss, snaking her arms round his neck and pulling him closer.

But then she frowned; did she really want this? Her mind couldn't help but drift to Legolas, probably sitting alone in his room.

Something jolted inside her and she instantly pulled away. Arendyll's eyes dripped with an unasked question and she shook her head.

"I'm so sorry, Arendyll. But I... I think I'm in love with someone else."

His eyes widened slightly, his jaw clenching. Nevertheless, he nodded, his head drooping.

"I understand."

"I'm so sorry," She muttered again before taking her leave and darting into the night.

She had to find Legolas.