Part Twenty-Seven

PART TWENTY-SEVEN ~

They arrived at the gates of Rivendell two and a half weeks later, weary and hungry and saddle-sore from days of heavy riding. They'd travelled upon the Old Forest Road without hindrance, through The Old Ford and managed to safely cross The High Pass, leading straight to Rivendell, the residence of Elrond.

Taryn was fully alert now, almost completely recovered from her past experiences with the witch. She rested behind Legolas, her chin on his shoulder, her arms round his waist, as they entered the unfamilar scenery of 'The Last Homely House East of the Sea'.

They were instantly greeted by a platoon of elves, who lowered their bows upon recognising Legolas, though still weary of the human. A young elf with flowing dark hair greeted them in the place of Elrond.

"Greetings, Legolas and company. I am Lindir. Lord Elrond is currently engaged in a meeting. He will be with you shortly," he announed politely, and with a flourish. "If you'd be so kind to follow me to your quarters, where you may rest as you wait."

With another graceful bow, he strode away with Legolas, Tathar and Taryn following close behind. He led them through a series of hallways, decorated accordingly with flowering tapestries and graceful statues depicting various battles. Taryn eyed everything with a sense of wonder and beauty, and Legolas could help but feel delighted at her happiness. Perhaps this was where she belonged; it would do no good travelling back to Mirkwood with her, and she needed a place to stay. Perhaps he could persuade Elrond into allowing her to reside here for a time.

They eventually stopped before a series of doors. "Choose any room you'd like. I'll have more elves see to you shortly."

Legolas nodded and Taryn granted Lindir a grateful 'thank you' as he passed, receiving a wink and a bow in return. She tried to hide a blush under her hair and Legolas chuckled. Tathar scowled, disappearing into the guest chambers.

"You okay?" Legolas whispered, eyeing her carefully. She forced a smile on her lips and nodded, before entering her own room and gently closing the door behind her, breathing a long sigh of relief. Oh, how exhausted she was from riding! She stumbled over to the bed and collapsed wearily, snuggling under the covers and letting her head sink into the feathery pillow.

~

She was roused from her sleep by the gentle rap of knuckles against a door. Her head snapped up groggily as she squinted through her daze. "Who is it?" She managed to mumbled, pushing away the folds of her blanket.

"Legolas." The voice sounded amused, and she held back a groan as she tugged open the door. Surprise flashed across the Prince's face for a brief second, before he bowed clumsily with a dramatic flourish. "And might this beautiful lady invite me into her quarters?"

Taryn forced a giggle and stepped aside for him to enter. As she passed a delicately crafted mirror sat on a dressing table of carved wood, she saw the reason for Legolas' shock and grimanced; her appearance was no less ugly than an orc's. Hair matted and tangled, face streaked with dirt, clothes ripped and worn. Having slept in them made them no better, for they were crumpled and creased. Her face was pale, her eyes sunken. She looked a mess.

"Oh, lord. Look at me! I am in no state to meet the Lord of Rivendell!" She exclaimed, recieving a chuckle from Legolas.

"Through there," Legolas said, pointing to a small door beside the bed. "I'm sure you'll find a basin and toiletries. And fresh clothes in the drawers."

Taryn huffed with relief, nodding gratefully to Legolas. She stomped over to the dressing table and flung open the drawers. A series of male and female attire were neatly folded up before her; the tunic and leggings seemed the most comfortable choice, but she picked out a simple cotton dress instead, for it'd deem more suitable in the presence of Elrond. Flashing Legolas a smile, she dissapeared into the side room and stripped off her dirt-riddled clothes. They were in no state to be repaired; they'd have to be discarded, so she dumped them in a basket and pushed them from her mind.

After she'd washed herself and her hair, cringing as she noticed the water-filled basin become dirt-riddled, she slipped into the dress and inspected herself in the mirror. Her dripping hair fell down to the middle of her back, just above the thin ribbon that coiled around the dress and tied off into a bow. The material clung tightly to her figure, and she felt slightly uncomfortable with it being so visible, but it was something she'd have to get used to for this one occassion. From the waist down, it flared out slightly, the rim ending just below her knee. Had she been more average size - being tall for a human - it would have perhaps reached her ankles. She stuck with it anyhow, not wanting anything more fancy than the simple pattern she wore.

Deeming herself presentable in the presence of the Prince of Mirkwood, she exited the room and met Legolas with an expectant glare, hands on hips.

"Wow. You look..."

"Feminine?" She offered.

"Beautiful," he mumbled, blushing ever so slightly.

Taryn shrugged and smiled, and padded over to the window, where she remained to allow her hair to dry. She gazed blankly over the scenery, her thoughts troubled with those of the witch. What if Elrond couldn't help her? What if she was to be plagued by the strange being until she succumbed to her compromises?

No. I will never, she thought to herself, resting her chin on her palm. Though perhaps she had no choice in the matter.

~

A/N: Thank you for reading, my preciouses! It's very much appreciated ;)

I'm going to watch 'Desolation of Smaug' now. Just because its amazing! :D Hehe.

~ _imagine_fantasy_