Part Twenty-Six

PART TWENTY-SIX ~

"Right, here's the plan. Taking separate positions around their camp, we'll hide in the trees, and on my signal, we'll all shoot from a distance, then charge in and rescue Taryn," Legolas concluded to the expectant elves, waving his hands in a myriad of gestures to demonstrate the attack.

"I don't think that'll be necessary, boys! Though I am grateful for the careful planning of my rescue."

Legolas' head snapped up at the sound of her voice, and he instantly shuddered with relief. "Taryn!" He exclaimed, pulling her into an abrupt embrace. "How did you escape?"

Tathar sent her a fleeting glance of suspicion and the other elves peered at her curiously.

"They just let me go," She admitted, shrugging. "They must really fear this witch."

Legolas grinned, obviously delighted she had escaped unscathed. Taryn chuckled, meeting the Prince's gaze, filled with wonder. She felt almost transfixed, locked in his midnight eyes, like pools of water shimmering under the moon.

She hastily dragged her eyes from his, training them on the floor.

Don't go there, Taryn. You know you can't...

Legolas snapped out of the moment too, clearing his throat uncertainly. His eyes trailed up to meet Tathar's bemused expression.

"Tathar, can I talk to you for a moment?"

The elf raised an eyebrow but held back a protest, obediently following the Prince out of earshot from Taryn.

"You understand the situation?"

Tathar smirked. "What, you were sneaking the prisoner out of the palace before her execution took place? Yeah, I understand."

Legolas frowned. "But you know she didn't mean to kill the elf."

"What, like she didn't mean to attempt to kill you?"

Legolas gritted his teeth. "You heard the orcs. It was a witch. You should have seen her before the attempt took place; she was panicking, terrified. She could feel the witch taking over her body but she could not stop it!" His voice rose in pitch as his anger rose, receiving them odd glances from the other elves. He paused for a moment, waiting for his rage to simmer down.

Tathar sighed, his shoulders slumping. "I know... but this whole witch business... it just doesn't sound right. Why her? Why does it want control of her?"

Legolas shrugged. "Maybe because she was the only survivor from the attack on her village. Maybe it was just random. I haven't a clue. But perhaps Elrond might. Which makes it even more important to reach Rivendell. Soon," he hissed, brushing away a leaf that had tangled in his hair. "Journeying with such a large party is slowing us down, and will surely attract undesired attention. Please, Tathar, allow me to travel with Taryn alone. It will allow us to reach Rivendell in a much more efficient manner."

Tathar stared at him for a long time without saying anything, and Legolas wondered if he was prepared to speak at all, when he finally huffed in defeat, dragging his gaze away from Legolas' pleading eyes.

"Fine. But at least allow me to travel with you. I can't risk leaving you alone with her and... and the witch," he concluded, glancing fleetingly towards Taryn, now slumped wearily against a tree. "She may attempt to take your life again."

Legolas bit back his protest and reluctantly agreed; he would have preferred it if Tathar did not accompany them, but the elf was determined not to leave him alone, so he hadn't really a choice in the matter.

Tathar nodded in approval. "Now that that's settled, I'll go inform the other elves and we'll set off immediately.

Legolas watched him walk off and ambled over to Taryn, looking bleary-eyes and cold, even though the afternoon sun was beating hard on them, a blood-red disk above the vivid green foliage.

"Hey, how're you feeling?"

Taryn struggled to lift her head. "Tired. Numb. Cold," she muttered, grasping onto a protruding branch as she strained to pull herself up. She instantly found Legolas by her side, gripping her arms and gently hauling her from the ground.

"We're setting off now - just you, Tathar and I. Hopefully we'll reach Rivendell quicker with a lighter load."

Taryn merely hummed to acknowledge she heard him and took a hesitant step towards her horse. She immediately lost balance and began to topple into the trees. Legolas caught her and lifted her limp figure into his arms.

"Hey, hey," he soothed, as Taryn shot up in panic. "You just rest."

Taryn's eyes fluttered closed and he slowly lifted her onto his horse, climbing on behind her. She fell back into his chest as he gripped the reins, her hair brushing against his neck.

He and Tathar were soon galloping through the forest, watching the trees speed by them in a blur of dark hues and shapes.

Legolas deeply hoped Elrond would have answers to his tempest of questions.