Part Twenty-Five

A/N: Yay! Second update today! Enjoy ~

PART TWENTY-FIVE ~

"Listen to me elf," The Orc spat at Legolas. His face recoiled in disgust, and he fought the urge to kick out his bound legs into the beast's stomach. He was strung to a tree, his feet barely touching the ground, with his hands tied painfully to a sharp branch. Splinters of bark were beginning to pierce his flesh like needles, and the rope seemed to be getting tighter every time he was sent swinging back and forth as the Orc slashed out in his frustration.

He was beginning to feel nauseated; his stomach gurgled unhappily and his surroundings swung precariously about him. He could feel his eyelids begging to close as they drooped further over his clouded eyes. He was able to pick out the other elves tied to separate trees in a similar fashion, but all eyes were on him.

"Tell me where she is, or he dies." The Orc suddenly thrust forward his weapon to Tathar's chest. Panic crossed his features for a brief second, before he regained an impassive guise and scoffed.

"Kill me if you want, but-"

"I'm here!" In the few minutes Taryn had witnessed the past events, she made the rash decision of giving herself up; she needed answers. Perhaps she could be free of this 'witch' if she learned more about her, and what the orcs wanted with her. She quickly drew her daggers as the orcs recovered from their bewilderment and began to approach her. "Let them go, then you can have me."

The Orc raised an eyebrow and scoffed, continuing it's approach. "I wouldn't do that if I were you..." She said casually, a forced grin masking her features. She hadn't a clue what she was doing; she was making it up as she went along, but it seemed to be working.

The approaching orcs stopped in their tracks, glancing at their leader in confusion. They faltered; that was a good sign for Taryn. They believed she had powers. Powers from the witch.

"Well, why not?" The leader growled, unsure of what to do.

"Well. You know, the witch... She doesn't like it when people hurt me. Makes her... mad." She drawled on, beginning to pace slowly. "And you don't want her mad, do you? Only she knows the power she's capable of. Do you want to know too?"

The orcs vigorously shook their heads, peering at her in wonder; they must think she held a great power. "Well, then. Let's make a deal! You let these lovely little elves go," She concluded, clapping her hands and gesturing to her addled companions, staring at her in disbelief. "Elves who I don't know, may I add; they have nothing to do with this. And once they're free, they will leave, and you and I shall discuss... things. Sound good?"

Taryn gazed at him expectantly, gaining courage by the minute. She knew they'd kill her once they found out she was lying, but at least Legolas and the others would be safe.

It took the orcs a moment of gazing at her and then peering anxiously at their leader, before a decision was made. "Let the elves go," he grumbled, his nostrils flaring in frustration. Taryn suppressed a sigh of relief and merely nodded, keeping down her emotions as she watched Legolas being cut free from the rope. He collapsed to the ground with a grunt, his face contorted in pain, and Taryn had to hold herself back from rushing to support him. "But they're not allowed to harm us while your in our presence."

Taryn reluctantly agreed and Legolas galnced at her briefly; a fleeting nod. 

"Now get out of here," the leader  snarled, kicking an elf into the trees. "If we see you again, you won't get off so lightly."

The elf glared at the beast in disgust and slipped into the forest, restraining himself from shooting the orc in the head. Once the other elves, including Legolas, were out of sight, Taryn tentatively approached the orcs. "What is it you want with me?" She demanded in a voice imbued with more confidence than she felt. Thin lips pulled into a snarl and the orc beckoned her closer. She pushed away all thoughts of panic and fear and stepped forward without hesitation. 

"We need your help, little witch," The orc murmured, peering into her eyes as if to find some hidden magic contained within. "We need your help destroying those petty elves whom you bade us release, and the rest of their scummy families."

Taryn scoffed, anger flaring amongst her features. "What makes you think I'm going to help you, filthy creatures!? Huh?" She gritted her teeth and glared at the orc, feeling a sense of victory as it cowered away from her, it's confident demeanor instantly vanishing. "Tell me; what can you offer me in return?" 

It's eyes widened and it shook it's head. "I... I don't know, missus. I just... I just thought you'd perhaps... help... help us," the orc stammered, recoiling in fear. Did she really look so frightening - a young woman with hair streaked with dirt and a somewhat tattered cloak; the forest floor had not done much good for her attire.

"Well. I refuse," She insisted, folding her arms over her chest. She knew she was falling into a dangerous game now; if she refused to help them, they would have no hesitation in killing her, right?

"Of course! Of course!" He said. "You be on your way, now, and we won't bother you again!" He said somewhat flustered, gesturing for her to leave.

Taryn choked back her surprise, holding back her exclamation of disbelief. They were just going to let her go? These orcs really must fear the witch! But does that mean she should as well? "Good. Now, if you'll excuse me. I have... things to attend to!" With a huff, she strode away from the silent orcs, her head held high. 

Now, where had Legolas got to?

~

A/N: This is turning out quite different to what I expected - how are you finding it? Do you like the new twist on the story? Or shall I just forget it altogether? Please feedback! I'd really appreciate it!

~  _imagine_fantasy_