Part Thirty-Six

PART THIRTY-SIX ~

Taryn collapsed forward, into Legolas, still crying. Her sobs ricocheted profoundly loud against the marble tiles, making the King cringe and muster even more anger.

"You will not give your heart to a murderer. I will not allow it."

"I am not asking you to. It is mine and I may do what I want with it," he retaliated in a similar tone. "I love this woman and I will not see her die. Ada, why can't you accept that she did not kill that elf."

"Legolas, just..." Taryn whispered through sobs. "Just leave... it."

Legolas glared at her incredulously. "You expect me to let you die?! Never, Taryn. Never!"

He cupped his hands on her cheeks, slowly lifting her head to face him. "I love you," he whispered, heedless of his father's silent rage. Taryn let out another sob before Legolas kissed her, her tears running down to their lips. Slipping his hands into his pocket, he withdrew Taryn's locket and cupped it in her own hands.

The King was now stricken to see his son show so much love for a mere human - one considered a murderer. He had to end this business! Slipping his sword from the sheath he constantly wore around his waist, he glided from his dais and made to strike the lowly woman when an echoing crash sounded from outside the palace gates.

Thranduil stopped in his tracks, sword still poised above Taryn's neck, and the two lovers broke away from their kiss, bewildered and panicked. Tathar darted out of the room, and appeared a moment late with an incredulous gaze.

"Uruk-hai are attacking. They demand we hand over the Prince or the palace will go down in ruins."

All three elves stared at Tathar in silence, before Taryn and Legolas exchanged glances and the King bellowed in anger.

"How dare they attempt to destroy my palace! How dare they even think about my palace! They will get no further than the bridge, do you understand?!"

Tathar nodded and dipped a bow. "Yes, my King!"

Then he departed from the hall with a flourish of his cloak and Taryn pulled Legolas from the floor.

"We have to fight!" Taryn insisted, drawing the bow from under her cloak.

Legolas nodded and glanced at his father in disgust. "How dare you attempt to kill the woman I love!"

Then he marched with Taryn to the battle outside, rage boiling within him for his father's mistrust.

As soon as they stepped out onto the bridge, they were met with a barrage of attacks. Taryn thrust her bow up just in time to parry an oncoming assail. The burly beast growled in frustration and met its end as one of Taryn's arrows pierced it's skull.

All around, elves were locked in combat, slashing and hacking with curved daggers, shooting arrows relentlessly in everything direction. Legolas had disappeared amongst the crowd of battling elves, and Taryn ran for the cover of the trees, shooting from a distance.

She was heedless of the Uruk-hai behind her until a twig snapped involuntarily under it's faint footfalls, and Taryn ducked just in time to avoid being decapitated by a rusty, blood-stained battle axe. She thrust the tip of her bow into the beast's stomach and drove an arrow into it's chest, before resuming her shooting.

Before long, the last arrow had been spent, and she drew out two curved hunting daggers from beneath her cloak, already sending one flying into an Orc just about go stab an elf in the back.

She had to find Legolas and make sure they didn't capture him while all other elves were locked in battle. Eventually she found him, a single cut running along his cheek. He seemed unfazed by it, however, and greeted Taryn by saving her from the unfriendly tip of a sword.

There seemed to be well over two dozen Uruk-hai left, but the elves continued battling without any major losses. Clearly, the beasts were no match for the Mirkwood Army, and soon enough, the remaining Orcs attempted to flee into the surrounding forest, only to be hunted down by the Guard.

Legolas and Taryn returned to the throne room along with most of the Guard, bearing only small gashes along their exposed skin. Taryn winced slightly as her arm brushed against the doorframe, smearing her own blood along the wood.

Thranduil remained seated in his throne, his anger clearly subsided. His expression was seemingly calm and impassive, and he greeted his son and Taryn with a mere nod as they approached the throne.

"Considering your claim proved to be true, it would be unfair to mistrust your other claims. You say you did not kill that elf? Then I shall believe you," Thranduil declared without preamble. "I hope you find it in your heart to forgive my harshness."

Taryn was utterly speechless. She merely stared at the King, feeling a seed of happiness blossom in her chest. It took her a moment to regain her composure and bowed genuinely before Thranduil. "Of course, my King. I understand your reasons to doubt me."

He nodded, a slight smirk playing on your lips. "So, you say a witch possessed your mind?"

Taryn gulped slowly and nodded.

"Her name was Merialeth."

At this, King Thranduil let out a sudden gasp, his eyes growing wide with disbelief.

"No. It can't be," he muttered, shaking his head violently and his eyes glazing with tears. Legolas and Taryn exchanged bewildered glances and took a step forward.

"What is it, Ada?"

"Merialeth... she's dead."

THE END!

A/N: Mwahahahahahahaha!

What do you think about that ending, huh?! I'll just leave you there, 'cause I ain't writing any more! Nah-ah! That is it! The end! Mwhahaha. I'm cruel.

Anyway, I'll try and make this short...

Omg! It's finished! It's actually finished... at last! I can now start writing one of the many other Fanfics I've already made covers for 😁 Yea, I'm sad...

Okay. I don't care if you're sick of hearing this but I want to say a huge shucking thank you for all of your support - the comments, the votes, the reads. Every time I get a notification it seriously makes my day, so thank you so much.

Like, seriously. You guys are awesome.

I hope you actually enjoyed reading this story...

Yeah.

Whatever.

Thanks.

Please check out my other works.

That is all.

~ _imagine_fantasy_

... short enough for ya? 😉🙊