Chapter 5

Hadrian had finally finished exploring the whole manor, and had begun heading back to his room.

The library was the best discovery that he had made. It took up a whole wing, and was filled with books that emanated dark magic. Some of them, though, were on the light arts, which was surprising for Hadrian to find. There was one section of the library that was very small, but had books that were written in Parseltongue. Hadrian had decided to read all of the books there first before anything, as they were very important to figuring out what he could do.

As he was walking to his room, Hadrian felt as if someone was watching him, which was completely illogical since no one could have gotten in the manor without being sent immediately to the dungeons. Unless he had keyed someone into the wards, no one should be able to enter.

He continued walking despite this, and kept his eyes and ears open for any disturbances.

"Zolton." He called out.

"Yes, young master." Zolton said as he popped into the hall.

"Strengthen the wards and have Saber get me a cup of tea. Earl Gray." Hadrian ordered, and continued to his room.

~•~•~•~•~

It was while he was sleeping that he felt the presence again. Even in sleep, he could tell something was wrong. And then he woke up.

~•~•~•~•~

"Welcome." Hadrian heard as he opened his eyes.

"Where am I." He demanded.

"You are in Black Manor. In my portrait." His head snapped to the side to see the man talking, and widened his eyes as he saw that at least ten people were in the portrait.

"Who are you?" Hadrian asked. The man in front of the group stepped up. He had dark hair and bright blue eyes, and was wearing an expensive looking robe, which was silver.

"I am Cadmus Peverell, original owner of the Resurrection Stone, which is in your pocket. These two gentleman are my brothers, Ignotus and Antioch, and the rest are your other ancestors from the Black family. We are here to test you." He told Hadrian, gesturing to the people behind him.

"Test me?" Hadrian questioned.

"Yes. Each Lord of the Black family, and the Peverell, must be tested by their ancestors to prove that they are worthy of the title Lord Black, and, in your case, Lord Peverell as well, since our other heirs have all died. Except for your father, of course, who is Antioch's and my heir." Cadmus explained. He stepped forward, and reached toward Hadrian.

"The stone in your pocket. You got it from the Black Vault, correct?" He asked. Hadrian nodded.

"The Blacks are descendants of me, Cadmus Peverell. The Grindelwalds are descendants of Antioch, and the Potters are descendants of Ignotus. Each family passes down their respective items, the Blacks getting the Resurrection Stone, the Potters getting the Invisibility Cloak, and the Grindelwalds getting the Elder Wand. Unfortunately, the Dumbledores have stolen the Elder Wand, thus meaning that there soon must be a Master of Death." Cadmus explained. Hadrian was now very confused, and voiced his questions.

"Why must there be a Master of Death because the wand got stolen? And I'm not a descendant of the Blacks, so why do I get the Resurrection Stone?" Hadrian asked.

"The heir does not have to be of blood, because that simply complicates things more than necessary, however they do have to be the heir of all three of us. Thus meaning that you are our heir, because you are the Potter and Black heirs, as well as the Riddle heir. There must be a Master of Death to return balance to the natural cycle of the items. They were created to be handled by our heirs, and one that is not will eventually cause the item to shatter and lose control of Death." Antioch said, standing next to his brothers.

"I understand the Potter and Black relation, but I thought the Riddles were half bloods?" Hadrian questioned. All of these things were confusing him even more.

"Your father's mother was a Gaunt, who are related to the Grindelwalds. She was the daughter of Grindelwalds sister, who had married into the Gaunts, leaving them with the Elder Wand if Gellert didn't have an heir. Your father's father was a Black that had been disowned at birth and had his magic sealed, making him a pure blood without knowing it. So yes, you are the heir to all of us." Antioch explained.

"Ah."

~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

Alright! It was a bit short, but hope you didn't mind. I changed some things from the previous chapter, so PLEASE LOOK BACK AT CHAPTER 2!!!! I added the Peverell name to the long list of families he was related to, and changed his title from Lord Riddle to Lord Peverell, since I had forgotten that Tom was Lord Riddle. I know, how could I have forgotten? Anyways, I don't know why I added the test, I guess I just needed a way to show Hadrian's skills, or lack thereof, and I also wanted to add in the whole "Master of Death" thing. Anyways, thanks to everyone who's voted/commented/etc.!

Ja ne!

Amber Silverwood

(Yeesh, that felt rushed)