Eight-Bye Emma

Eight-‘Bye Emma’

My eyebrows raise in disbelief. “I’m driving you crazy?”

He nods, taking a step forward. “Yeah. I can’t take it anymore, Emma.”

I smile at the ground, then up at him. “Really? Because you’ve been avoiding me today. I don’t understand how I’m driving you crazy.”

“First,” He starts listing off on his fingers, “you have four guy best friends and two girl best friends. You have more guy friends. That doesn’t help my case. Two, you have to flirt with them, of course. Three, you’re hugging Sunny! You, out of nowhere, just pull him out of the water and start yelling at him! Then you’re hugging him! And four,” He smiles wryly, “oh how I love four. The guy has the nerve to ask you out. Right in front of me. Then, to top it all off, drum roll please, he kisses you! Kisses you! Fuck man, I would’ve killed him right then and there. You didn’t even notice I left as soon as that happened! I couldn’t watch that, Emma!”

…..

Is it me…or did he just describe jealousy?

What the fuck is going on?

“First of all, Mike, I’m friends with them. Period. I don’t like any one of them. Two, I do not flirt with them! They are my friends, I joke around with them! Three, Sunny is the guy I go to when I need to let all my problems out. It’s always been like that, Mike. You wouldn’t know that because you haven’t been here the past four years! Four. Oh how I love four,” I mimic him, “he kissed me and asked me out because apparently, he’s had a crush on me. But you left before you had the chance to see what happened after the kiss. I rejected him. We even agreed on staying friends because it’s just too fucking weird.”

He throws his hands up. “How do you know? What if he still likes you?”

“Because he told me it was like kissing his sister! I told him the same thing! It was the worst kiss of my life!”

“I bet you loved it!”

“I didn’t love it!”

“So,” Now he’s inches from my face, “because you’re best friends with him, it felt like you were kissing your brother, huh?”

Suddenly, his lips are on mine.

No fireworks. That’s not true. But this kiss, there’s fire. Burning fire. Kindling fire, the fire I’ve missed so much. Not even realizing what I’m doing, I deepen the kiss quickly, moving quickly. My hands tangle into his soft locks of hair. He, apparently, doesn’t realize what he’s doing either because his hands tightly wrap around my back. Like he doesn’t ever want to let go of me. And I don’t want him to.

Memories of us from when we were little flash through my mind for some odd reason. Why? Why now? But it happens anyways. When we would climb trees. Play tag. Help my dad in the bakery. How I got the nickname ‘cupcake’. It was because I loved cupcakes when I was little, simple as that. Just more memories of why I love him.