<-01->

<-I-L-A-<<<

{A/N: I changed her name to Ila Archer. Her first name is pronounced as eye-la.}

"Ah ah ah ah." Dean yelped as he winced in pain, his voice higher at each small scream. I, immediately, let go of the sides of his lower abdomen.

"I didn't feel anything that can be causing your pain," I told him as I frowned. I gently reached at his stomach again, continuing the search for anything unusual.

Dean, a student at the nearby college, was here for medical attention. I've seen plenty of students who came here, faking an illness to get a doctor's note. Unfortunately, I think he was serious because they never come with their parents.

"Lelani, do you see anything?" I asked, making use of the apprentice at my side.

I watched her eyes scan the screen of the laptop, searching for anything in his medical history that could tell us possible reasons.

"Nope, nothing. Even new pills prescribed to him are mild," she informed me as she shook her head.

I ran my glove-covered hands once more over his stomach, confirming that there were no bumps or redness.

"It's not heirna. Doesn't show other important symptoms of cholecystitis either." I said, throwing away possibilities as Lelani checked them off my clipboard. I took off the stethoscope around my neck to put it on. I set the end of the medical instrument under his belly button and strained my ears as I tried to hear any sounds of irregularities.

"Tell me if this hurts," I warned him as I gently pressed the end of the stethoscope against his stomach. Hearing no response, I dug deeper. Instead of his expected voice, a long, almost quiet, 'pffft' cut the silence. Not even minutes after, a stench was floating through the air. It didn't take long to realize that he had farted.

I backed up away from him, taking the stethoscope off in the process. Lelani began to chuckle, making Dean's face grow red. I looked at her and subtly shook my head, reminding her to stay professional as possible.

"Right, sorry," Lelani said. She coughed and opened the supply cupboard, using it to block her from view as she quietly laughed while pretending to do something.

"My stomach doesn't hurt anymore." The young adult smiled in awkwardness, hugging his lower abdomen.

I fought off the laughter for my serious face to keep Angel from any further embarrassment.

"I'm sorry. " Mr. Meeks said.

"No, worries." I assured the family, "If something doesn't feel right, you should always check it out."

They thanked me as they left the room. Once the door was closed, leaving Lelani and me alone, she closed the cupboard and burst out laughing.

I chuckled along. It's rare to find humor while I'm working. Being a doctor requires a lot of seriousness.

After showing Lelani how to tidy up the used room, I sent her off to another doctor with a patient where she can do extra training. I was making my way back to my office when I bumped into Charlotte. She was one of the full-time nurses of the hospital. Working side by side with each other almost every day brought us closer.