<-26->

<-I-L-A-<<<

I was speed driving through the streets of New York. It was eight in the morning when Marcella called me saying that Leo has left to pick up Matteo after he landed back in the U.S with his sister. It was a good thing she had someone drop off the car, like she promised, an hour prior. I had to make sure I get back to the mafia house before he does.

I looked at the rear view mirror before going into the far right lane to exit on the highway. As I did, I caught a glimpse of my messy bed hair and it reminded me of what I was currently wearing. I was driving as fast as the streets of New York would let me in my pajamas.  I was out of my apartment once I got that call from Marcella. I dashed right out without thinking twice about my appearance. I didn't even leave I note for my brother. I sighed as I thought about Emmet. I don't know how I was going to tell Matteo about my brother but I rather not have him find out by realizing that I was not at the mafia house.

I decided to call Leo through the car Bluetooth system. It rang three times before he answered.

"Hey, Leo. Am I on speaker?"

"What's up, Ila?" He answered.

I frowned. I couldn't tell him to take his time without Matteo hearing.

"Morning, Ila." Matteo greeted me. It was obvious he was in the passenger seat.

"Hi, Matteo. Where are you at right now?"

"Leo just picked me up. We are on our way back to the mafia house."

"So like 30 minutes?" I asked.

"Yes," Leo answered.

I looked at my navigation. The estimated time of arrival to the mafia house at my surrender pace was also 30 minutes.

"We'll see you in a bit," Matteo said.

"Okay, bye. Drive safely and slow, Leo."

"Never," Leo replied.

>>>-M-A-T-T-E-O->

"Step on the accelerator, would you?" I asked Leo.

On my phone, Ila's tracker was advancing toward the mafia house. If Leo continues to drive like this, she'd get there before I would.

"I would but there is a car in front of me."

I looked up from my phone and saw that we were driving behind a slow car.

"Do you know why Ila would stay at her apartment when I was gone?"

"No clue, man," Leo answered.

Since I was on the tracker app, I looked for my sister. Right as the plane landed, she quickly grabbed her things and left with her friend, Roxany, before I could even a say a word.  It showed my sister and Roxany heading to their other friend's house. Mona happened to live in Ila's neighborhood.  I stopped looking at Serena's tracking and focused back on Ila.

I thought of nothing when I was in Italy and saw Marcella and Ila's trackers heading into the city where Ila lived. However, when I looked again while I was on the plane ride back to New York, it showed that Ila had stayed at her apartment for the night.

I fought the urge to call her and decided to handle it once I landed. In fact, I was going to go over to her apartment but Ila's tracker moved towards the mafia house and I decided to get there before she would.
I eased in my seat once I knew we were ahead of her.