Chapter 5

Xanun ran towards his castle with Miranda not far behind him. Minutes passed by as the two sprinted across the molten biome of the Netherealm. And along the way, Miranda saw a bunch of peculiar looking demons.

They finally reached their destination. A mansion built in black and red.

"That's my house," Xanun said in the distance.

They continued to walk towards the front door. Once they arrived, Xanun knocked on the door and opened it. "Mother? I'm home."

No response. Xanun entered and closed the door after Miranda came in.

"Xanun?" a voice called out. It sounded female. Then a woman turned around the corner and revealed herself. She seemed to share the same traits as Xanun - red skin and white hair. She seemed to be slightly different however, with sharp nails that turned to claws. "Oh, you're home." Her voice doesn't sound that impressed with the return of her son.

"I brought a..." He paused for a while thinking of the right word. "Friend."

"Oh," she said with the same tone. She approached Miranda and sniffed one side of her head with one long breath. "She's clearly not just demon. I smell..." She sniffed her again. "Human."

"Yes, I'm half human actually," Miranda said, verifying herself. She felt uneasy after being sniffed by a crazy demon-lady.

There was some awkward silence for some time. "Why don't we...have dinner now?" Xanun tried to change the topic. He walked towards the dining room with Miranda.

She sat down on one of the dining chairs and awaited her meal. Not long after, Xanun came over bringing her food. It looked like an overcooked meat because it was black. Xanun had the same thing on his dish.

"What is it?" Miranda asked, poking it with her fork.

"It's demon flesh. And a good one too," he replied.

The thought of eating another demon made Miranda's stomach turn. Do demons cannibalize on their own kind?

"I'm not very hungry," she said, not wanting to eat what she thought was disgusting. She left the table.

"Aren't you going to try it first?" Xanun asked before she was able to leave the room. "It's good meat."

Miranda took a deep breath and returned to her seat. She took the knife and began cutting through it. Her hands shivered a little as she lifted her fork to put the piece of meat in her mouth.

But once she began chewing, it tasted just like any other meat she had eaten in the Overworld. Perhaps it's her demon physiology that allowed her to digest such nourishment. She finished her dinner and Xanun took her to one of the guest rooms afterwards.

Just as she entered, she felt the strain of running hundreds of miles throughout the Nether. She fell on the bed and then to sleep before even realizing it.

**********************

Okay, that's day one in hell. Is Xanun really the good guy Miranda thinks he is? Or is he planning something more sinister? Leave your comment down below and don't forget to vote.

-Zyrofern