Chapter 28

"Cainan," Miranda said. "What a pleasant surprise." She smiled, although it had a meaning of evil behind it. "I think you've just witnessed the murder of your master..... what was his name? Melchizedek?"

"Why are you doing this?" Cainan asked faintly.

"To free my world from the ravages of war that you have declared upon the demons," she answered.

Cainan took a few steps and gripped his hilt. And just like Melchizedek's, the double edged blade spurt from it.

"So you want to fight?" Miranda's face became serious.

"I'll do it until back up....," he got cut off by Miranda thrusting her hand forward to hurl demon fire towards him. "Woah! Miranda!"

She eyed him like a hawk with an evil expression. Now Cainan too was about to die just like Xanun whom Miranda thought was pathetic, since he used his final and strongest form, yet was still unable to defeat her and ended up dying with his torso dismembered from his legs.

Adrenaline started rushing through Cainan's bloodstream, readying him to fight Miranda whom he once thought was a friend. Of course, how could he be so foolish? Why would Atlas imprison him and force him to train her in his race's magical arts in exchange for his freedom?

He fired back with his angelic fire and charged towards her.

Instinct kicked within Miranda and she dodged the fire downwards, performing a sweep and tripped Cainan onto the marble flooring of the throne room.

He got back up and this time the blade of his sword ignited with blue fire.

"You never taught me how to do that," Miranda said.

"Sorry, it's just that I forgot," Cainan said mockingly. He was glad Miranda didn't learn it. If she did, he could be in a lot more trouble than he already is.

They exchanged blows from their blades and Miranda being superiorly faster, was able to knocked him down again.

"Give it up, Cainan," she said. "You'll never win. I am stronger and better you."

"You may be better than me," Cainan said, smiling. "But if you're lacking something, it's a pair of wings." He got up and put his hands forward, flying onto Miranda charging her out of the window, sending the glass to shatter like a swarm of crystal wasps.

They were out in the open for a while when Miranda punched Cainan, knocking him off balance then they entered the library through the window, sending more glass to shatter as they landed on one side of a bookshelf, triggering a domino effect throughout the row and sent the scholars running out in panic.

Cainan was lying on the collapsed bookcases feeling hurtful of Miranda's fist and the impact of touch down.

Miranda got up and held her sword against Cainan's throat. "Feeling weak, Cainan?" she asked in-between breaths. She raised her sword up and was ready to drop it down and decapitate her old friend feeling no remorse of any kind, even when he has given her those bracers.

She sliced the sword down, but before it was able to touch the seraphim, another sword blocked the attack. Her eyes traced the blade onto the hilt that revealed the red hands that held it. She traced the hands onto the arms then onto his face. She was surprised when she saw a demon from the Netherealm there in Elysium.

"Xanun? Impossible!" Her heart was beginning to tremble. She disengaged the blade lock. "How were you able to come here?"

"I had help," he said calmly.

Miranda attempted to kill him but only got disarmed after a few parries with the demon.

Xanun pointed the blade at Miranda, getting ready to strike her if she made any sudden moves.

They heard a noise like footsteps coming from the distance. And by the sounds of it, there seem to be not just one man, but dozens. They came bursting through the door left open by the scholars.

They quickly pulled their guns out and made sure they were locked and loaded. Among them were the remaining members of the council of Thronus Domini.

They had no way out. But Cainan thought quickly and put his hand forward and used his telekinesis to pull one of the soldiers' portal guns. He fired it to position the portal behind Xanun. Miranda quickly charged and put her arms around him, pushing him through and escaped to Earth, then Cainan followed them as the portal closes. They were taken to the top of a sea cliff that overlooked the blue ocean.

"Miranda, you caused us enough trouble for today," Xanun said, getting up. He punched Miranda's cheek which knock  her out into unconsciousness.

"What should we do with her now?" Cainan asked.

"What she did to us - lock her up," Xanun answered.

"Very well, I'll take her back to Thronus Domini." He approached the immobile girl's body.

"No," Xanun interrupted him. "If you take her there, the humans can easily take possession of one of your portal guns and send a rescue force through. Leave her to me. No human can survive thirty seconds in the Netherworld. She'll be safe there, nobody will come after her." He opened the portal and carried Miranda in his arms.

"Will I ever see you again?" Cainan asked. He has made a friend within him. No angel has ever done that before.

"You do know that our truce will end when this is over," Xanun replied him. "Although maybe we will." He stepped through the portal.

***********************

And that is it for today guys. I hope you all enjoyed this story because now it's almost over as it has already reached it's climax, all that's left is the epilogue. As usual, don't forget to leave a vote and feedback, I would love to read those. I really love you all and stay tuned for the epilogue 😎

-ZYROFERN