Chapter 22

Miranda stayed the night in the St. Altharie manor, feeling welcome as a guest. She woke up the next morning as Enoch came to fetch her, informing her that she must resume her training.

After having breakfast, training was back on in Thronus Domini. Cainan used his portal gun to teleport them there. He even took over Enoch's role as a mentor as he taught her how to properly use the bracers.

The machinery projects a retractable blade from beneath the forearm. While a grappling hook can be fired from the upper part of the right bracer. The top left however, fires smoke bombs to create a diversion or some sort.

Cainan made Miranda grapple items from a distance using the grappling hook and dueled with her, teaching her the proper use of the smoke bombs as a means of escape.

The night came again and the two spent the night in Thronus Domini.

Miranda woke up the next morning. Feeling rested after a good sleep on a comfortable bed. In fact, she felt too comfortable that she didn't even realize that she was holding on to a piece of paper. She opened it and it read:

Dear Miranda,

     I'm sorry that I had to leave so quickly without saying a proper farewell. I am needed in the front lines as today we are to fight a horde of demons. Do forgive me that I was unable to inform you this sooner, but I was also shocked as I received this word just last night. If you wish to join me, then you are welcome to. The military are accepting volunteers. Just be here before 8 o'clock.

                                          Sincerely,
                                              Cainan

Miranda looked at the time, it was seven sharp. She only had exactly an hour to prepare. She rushed down to the dining room and ate her breakfast quickly but didn't actually get to enjoy them. She then got dressed and put on her bracers Cainan gave her two days before.

After all her gear was packed up, she asked one of the Masters if he could direct her to the barracks. The Master answered her kindly, but he let her take his portal gun for fast travel.

"Thank you, Master," Miranda said. She paused for a moment, realizing that she was never taught how to use it. "How do I use this?"

"Just think of where you want to go and pull the trigger," he answered.

Miranda took a deep breath. She didn't know how the barracks looked like, neither had she gotten a description of how it. She calmed her mind and kept saying where she wanted to go to in her head. She pulled the trigger, and there it was -  a steampunk barracks lying before her.

She stepped through, bringing the portal gun with her. She asked a seraphim for directions to the commander's office and quickly made her way there to come forth as a volunteer.

She opened the door and saw a group of male angels huddled around a table.

"Excuse me," Miranda said.

All the gentlemen turned their attention towards her, revealing a man with white hair and  short-shaved beard. His right arm was replaced by a cybernetic limb decorated with lots of gears.

Miranda got a little nervous because of the attention she got. "I came here to volunteer for the army."

"Guardsman!" The man with mechanical arm said. The sentries outside went in to heed their call. "Escort this girl to the volunteers' cabin."

The two guards bowed and went back outside with Miranda following them. They lead her to the volunteers' barracks and let her in to one.

The place was dark and deserted. No one was there. Only beds and a couple of lights that hung from the ceiling. They could barely light up half the room.

Loneliness kicked within Miranda. She layed down on one of the beds and gently closed her eyes, taking a moment to relax in the hopes that time will pass by quickly.

*****************

Hello readers! Before I say anything, I would like to say that I'm sorry for being inactive for a time because of my school reaching final examination. But now, since I'm done, I can finally come back to my work and resume where I've left off.

Anyways, thank you so much for reading this chapter I really appreciate it. Don't forget to leave feedback, and vote😊. Stay cool, people 😎

-Zyrofern