Chapter 21

Miranda explored the house going from one room to another. She took a bathroom break in between the exploration and continued on her self-guided tour of the abandoned luxury mansion, coming back to Cainan once she explored every inch and corner of the house.

"You're done already?" Cainan asked. "The day's not even close to an end."

"I've seen all that I need to see in this house, Cainan," Miranda replied. "So where are we headed now?"

Cainan paused for a moment and his eyeballs were looking at a particular direction as his mind start to gather some thoughts. "I want to to meet someone."

"Who?" Miranda asked yet another question.

Cainan pulled out the same portal gun he used to get to Elysium. "You'll just have to find out." He fired the blaster and opened a rift in mid-air that showed a manor. "After you."

Miranda stepped through the portal and set her foot on the front lawn. She walked towards the manor with Cainan tailing her as if he were her pet who works follow its master anywhere.

She and Cainan arrived at the front porch. She waited for Cainan to come as well and be the one to knock the door. They waited for a while. No response. All Miranda could do was observe what's around her. And even all that wasn't enough. There were only the wooden flooring and inclined canopy sheltering them from sunlight as if they were vampires.

Then, the door was opened, revealing a young woman with curly, golden hair tied to a side ponytail, set to fall on her left shoulder. "Cainan!" She embraced him as he hugged her back. "I thought you were dead." Her voice spilled a clue of worry.

As Miranda looked at her, she thought of something. Maybe Blondie was Jynera's seraphim counterpart.

"Mother, this is my friend, Miranda," Cainan's introduce her.

"A pleasure to meet you, darling." She shook Miranda's hand.

Blondie was his mother? Surely she was a lot more welcoming than Xanun's mother who doesn't seem to have the slightest care towards her own son, yet alone other people.

"Let's go inside, shall we?" Blondie said welcomingly. The two entered the house. Miranda was feeling welcome as a guest, while Cainan was just glad to be home.

The flooring of the interior was modeled to a black and white chessboard. The walls were of dark mahogany. In the centre of the room lies a grand piano with the same colour as the walls with a chandelier hanging on top of it.

Blondie lead them to the common room, going to the right side of the piano. A long, red armchair, which was more of a couch lay behind a small table. Behind it was a book case filled with all sorts of coloured hardcovers. Miranda took a seat on one of the smaller armchairs opposite of the longer one.

"Would you like to read a book, darling? Blondie asked. Miranda had already begun to like her a lot, compared to Xanun's mother. She never wished to see that woman again.

"No, thank you," Miranda replied, whispering.

"Okay," Blondie said. It may have seemed that Miranda's whisper was very audible to her ears.

Miranda sat awkwardly. Her host had just left her and Cainan was nowhere to be found. Where could he have gone? Just a second ago he was right beside her. Perhaps she really should try reading a book as Blondie had suggested. She got up and began checking the titles of one that might appeal to her.

Cover after cover she went through. None of it sounded interesting. She continued her search. She found one that attracted her. "The magic in me" was written on the hard, leather cover.

"I see that you have taken a liking to that one."

Miranda looked behind her. Blondie came in to the living room carrying a tea set on a tray. She quickly put the book back on the shelf.

"No, please. Read it." Blondie put the tray down and poured some jasmine from the pot to one of the cups. "That one's my personal favorite."

"I'm back."

The two ladies looked towards the voice. Cainan returned bringing a box. What was inside? They didn't know.

He walked in the living room and settled the package down on the dark, wooden table. He opened them to reveal a pair of bracers.

Made of brown leather with some mechanical plates placed at the top and bottom of the forearm. Cainan fastened them onto Miranda.

"There." He clenched his right fist and unclenched it in front of Miranda. The moment he spread out his palm, a short, sharp blade emerged from under his sleeve. "Try it, Miranda."

Miranda did the exact same thing - clenched her fist and spread it out. A blade then thrust itself out of the bracer.

"Tomorrow, I'll teach them how to use them properly," Cainan said. The blade retracted back into his sleeve.

"How do I put it back in?" Miranda asked.

"Use your telekinesis." He replied.

She focused her thoughts on putting the blade back in. And as if it could read Miranda's mind, it did just that.

******************

Thank you so much, guys for reading this chapter. I wish that I could've updated a lot more often and sooner, but unfortunately, my school examination is coming and I have lots to do. Thanks for sticking with me for this long, everyone. And I will see you all next time. As always, don't forget to leave a comment and vote 😊