Connections

Mikhail took a deep breath as the sun set. Rising from his bed, his mind immediately searched out his beloved. Finding her, he allowed himself to bask in her innocence and gentle humor that he felt emanating from her. He would have to step carefully with her. He had already frightened her the day before.  The look on her face had screamed of her terror of him. He had been cold for so long that his natural instinct was to take what he wanted rather than courting her. He had to remind himself that like his precious Elaina, Ember was innocent of many things of this world. How she had managed in this day and age was a complete mystery. But, there was no denying that she was entirely gentle. He had felt it when he had reached out to find her.  The warmth of her soul called to him. It had even soothed the beast in him that reared its head in thirst at the thought of her warm body and the warm blood flowing through her veins. She didn't know that she was his Beloved. He doubted that she knew his kind even existed. He would have to gently court her and then introduce her to his world. He would have to turn her. He refused to allow her to grow old and die. She would not leave him!

Growling, he threw back his covers and padded naked to the en suite shower. Standing under the hot water, he felt the tense muscles start to relax. Finishing up, he wrapped a towel around his hips and went back to his bedroom to find his valet, Bertram, waiting for him, a glass of warm blood on a tray. "Good evening, sir. I take it that you are going out tonight? Shall I have your car readied or perhaps are you going to take that awful black beast you ride." Bertram raised one eyebrow in question. Ordinarily a servant speaking to him in such a way would have been killed instantly. But his valet had been with him for so long that he considered him a friend, not a servant. Mikhail had tried on several occasions to release the retainer, only to have the man shake his head and deny the freedom that was offered. Dressing, Mikhail left his home and rode his motorcycle to the small bakery where Ember worked. Knowing he had a fight on his hands, he steeled himself. He was not a patient man. But for her, he would become one. 

Fate however, decided to lend him a hand in wooing his love. When he arrived it was closing time. His Ember was just leaving. He watched her from across the street as she waved her goodbyes to her boss. He knew them all, of course. More importantly, they knew who and what he was. This was his neighborhood, his city. Nothing happened in it that he didn't know about. Midge had left a message for him that Ember was well taken care and protected. Yet, even as he watched her turn and smile as she waved bye, a shot rang out. His eyesight being what it was, he saw the bullet. Realizing that it was headed straight for Ember's head. Roaring out his anger, he moved faster than the human eye can see. Pushing on her lightly against the wall , Mikhail grunted as he felt the bullet pierce his chest. Hearing a scream, he turned and saw Ember with blood on her hands and running down her face.

"Oh God! I hurt you Dammit! I can help...." Mikhail stopped midsentence as Ember's eyes rolled back in her head. He reached her just in time to catch her. MIdge, who had watched everything from her bakery window, opened the door and stepped out.

"My Lord, you can take her upstairs to my place. I have a spare bedroom where we can take care of her."

Mikhail nodded and followed her to her apartment above the bakery. Laying Ember on the bed, he lifted her head to examine the wound. It was on the side close to her temple. That gave him pause. Looking at Midge for guidance, he asked quietly, "What do I do?"

"Sir, if I may? Give her a drop or two of your blood and lick her wound until it closes. You have a healing agent in your saliva, do you not?"