WHY AND FOR WHAT REASON?

It took a while to calm Ember once she realized that they were talking about Alexandrov Popov. He had been like a surrogate father to her. He had helped her mom with the various bills that arise from raising a young woman. He had also paid for her mom's medical treatment for her cancer. She knew that he had cared for them, what she didn't know was why.

It mattered little, she thought, as she left the funeral service in the Russian Orthodox Church in their community. As she walked out, a man in a dark blue suit stepped into her path stopping her and alarming Mikhail. Mikhail simply stepped in front of her and looked at the man, almost growling out his question.

"Who are you and what do you want?" As he asked this question, Dumitri came up behind Ember and wrapped his arms around her, ready to pull her out of a bad situation. 

"My name is Marco Stavatolli, and I was Mr. Popov's attorney. I was merely attempting to give my card to the young lady, so that, at her earliest convenience, she may make an appointment to see me." The man replied smoothly, not at all intimidated by the big vampire.

"Very well. I will have her call you in a day or two." Mikhail said, taking the card from the man.

"Are you her self-appointed security guard?" Marco asked with a smirk. "And yes, I know who, and what you are. You are not the first supernatural that I have had to deal with, and I'm sure you won't be the last. Now, I bid you good day. ma'am." Bowing to Ember, he turned and walked away to an expensive black luxury sedan.

"I've heard of him, Mikhail. He deals with our kind more than the other supernaturals. He specializes in estate planning and wealth management. Meaning. also, reinventing the identities of said supernaturals." Dumitri informed his friend. 

Mikhail had allowed his friend to hold his mate during the pseudo-confrontation, however, now that the threat was gone, he didn't like it. He let his friend know by growling low at him. Dumitri just laughed as he released his little human friend. 

"I can't wait until you find your's. You're so going to lose it. No one will be able to get close to her. No male that is." Mikhail retorted at Dumitri's cocked eyebrow. To which, Dumitri just laughed even more.

The next day, Mikhail and Dumitri accompanied Ember to Mr. Stavatolli's office. Surprisingly, the attorney greeted them himself. "My apologies. My secretary is running a little late today." Just then a blonde woman of medium height and curvy build stepped into the office.

"I'm sorry, Marco. Mom's sitter was running late. Traffic. Oh! I'm so sorry. I didn't realize tht you had clients in. I'll get some coffee prepared shall I? And pastries, sir?" The whole time she spoke, Dumitri was growling low in the back of his throat. The sound so low that only Mikhail could hear him. Looking at his friend, he said, "You can go help. This should be interesting to watch."

Ember and Mr. Stavatolli turned to watch the growling vampire leave the room. Ember with a look of  surprise. Mr. Stavatolli with a smirk. "Please, no sex. My office is not the place for that. I have an apartment upstairs. After Susan has brought us coffee, she may be excused for you to claim her, vampire."

Dumitri nodded curtly and closed the door behind him. 

"Hello Love

"Hello Love. I am here to help." At the sound of the deep voice, Susan turned. She wasn't short and she was wearing 5 inch heels ad she still had to look up some. The guy had to be every bit of 6'5 or 6'7. His russian accent had caused shivers to skate up and down her spine and settle in her core, causing her panties to moisten. She could have sworn he sniffed and growled. 

"I'm ok, thank you. I'm used to taking care of Marco and his clients. As his secretary, it's part of my job. Besides, I enjoy it. I caught up all of my work yesterday in anticipation of the young Ms. O'Shay. I even tried to make sure that everything was ready for her signature." She was nervous and would start babbling if she wasn't careful.

Dumitri smirked. The smell wafting up from her core was divine. He couldn't wait to taste her. He had an image of her laid out beneath him as he worshiped her body. 

"You know, I do know what you guys are. You aren't my first encounter. I grew up in a supernatural community. That's why Marco hired me. My stepdad was an Elven Mage." Susan was nervous and knew he could not only smell it, but her desire for him. It was completely unfair. He could read every telltale sign that her body gave out, while not showing her anything.

"Go love. Take them their coffee and papers. I will wait out here for you. Then you and I are going to get acquainted. I promise, Susan, you will not regret it. Go now, before I change my mind. Ember can be a little difficult without her coffee. You have three minutes to get everything in order, then we are going up to Mr. Stavatolli's apartment, where I am going to mark you as mine, and then.....Then I'm going to mate you."

Dumitri watched his mate's eyes dilate as he spoke. She was ready for him. She wasn't afraid, thank god. Mikhail is going to laugh his ass off.

Back in his office, Marco Stavatolli was reading Ember Mr. Popov's last will and testament. To say she was stunned was putting it mildly.

"Everything?" She asked with a squeak.

"Everything. The building that the store sits in, the store itself, several rental properties, several monetary funds as well as all of his papers. Mr.Popov was something of an author and left instructions for you to publish is last book, should he pass before he could. It seems my dear, that you are a very wealthy young lady. Now, if you will just sign here, here and here. OH yes, initial here, as well. Then I can get the funds, property deeds and titles transferred to  your name by next week."

Mikhail knew that the old man had loved Ember like a daughter, having told him as much, and that her mom had been the love of his life. However, not even he had realized the extent of Alexdranov's wealth. He watched Ember struggle with emotion and the idea that the simple old russian man she knew was not who she thought. In fact, he had watched her open her mouth, only to close it. Several times. Finally, she seemed to get ahold of herself enough to talk to the attorney.

"Why?" she demanded. "For what reason? I mean, no one leaves someone someething like this without a reason. What was it?" If Marco was discomfitted by her sudden aggression, he didn;t show it. Instead, he smiled and handed her a heavy cream envelope with elegant script in her name. 

"To put it simple, He loved you. And your mother. She was the love of his heart, and he never looked at another woman." Ember gasped and Marco knew she understood what he meant.'

'Never?" She asked.

"Not after meeting her.I'll leave you to read the letter. You may, of course leave. We are finished and the only thing left to do is collect your friend and leave." Marco sat at his desk, hoping he wasn't about to lose one of the best secretary's he had ever had. While young, Susan was reliable, trustworthy and hard-working.

Mikhail stood and took Ember's hand. Leading her to the office door, he spoke, "Thank you, sir. If we have any questions, we will contact you."