SLEEPING BEAUTY

Mikhail lay looking down at his mate. So many thoughts were chasing themselves through his head. He should have married her before the twins were born. How would she react to being a queen to almost all of the supernatural world. Grigorii was gone and could no longer pose a threat o his family. So much more, besides. He was a wreck. How did human males survive this? This was crazy! Finally taking a deep breath, Mikhail reach down and picked up one of Ember's small hands in his. His hand was so large that her hand looked like a child's in his. He gently squeezed her hand  before laying it back down on the bed. Turning, he stripped himself and went to take a shower. When he returned, Ember lay in the same position, having not moved. He was beginning to get worried. It had been four days since she had delivered and been turned. She still had not awakened. Walking over the the side of the bed, he once again sat down and picked up his mates hand in his.

"Ember, please, wake up. I need to see your beautiful eyes. You need to see our children. They are beautiful, my love. Please, Ember. I'm so worried. I need you." Mikhail pushed his strong emotions of fear, longing, and love through the bond, hoping that she might in some way respond. When he didn't receive one, he squeezed her hand again. Before he released it, he felt a soft squeeze on his hand. Looking up at her, he saw her eyelids fluttering.

"Mikhail, please, stop shouting. I can hear you just fine. You're hurting my ears." Ember had yet to open her eyes, but he knew she had heard his pleas.

Gathering her up, he lifted her to him in an embrace. Feeling her arms go around him, weakly, caused him to gently laugh with joy. Laying her back down, he picked up the phone beside the bed and called the doctor. "The doctor will be here soon, my love."

Frowning up at him, she spoke, well whispered, "Mikhail, please whisper. Your shouting is hurting my ears."

"Love, I'm not shouting. You just have to get used to your heightened senses. Every sense will be stronger now that you are a vampire."

Ember frowned,  "Vampire......"Then setting up quickly, "The babies! Where are the babies?"

Before she could say anything else, their suite door opened and a tall, thin man walked in. "Good afternoon, you majesty. I'm a doctor, and I'm here to examine you. You gave us quite the scare, you know. You have been asleep for 4 days now. I was beginning to think the King might actually go mad. I'll just examine you and send in the children with their caregivers"

"Mikhail, where are our children? Please....." Mikhail and the doctor both could hear Ember's heart rate speed up and their powerful noses smelled her anxiety. 

"It's alright, love. They're fine. They are with their caregivers. Whom, I must say, they chose themselves, and just happen to be mates. Everything is fine. Now hush, my love and let the doctor examine you. OK? We'll sit and talk after your exam." Mikhail smiled gently at his mate. She was going to be a wonderful mother.

After the doctor finished his exam, he spent some time talking to her and her mate. Telling them that she would need to feed some and to eat food high in this and that. All in all, stay in bed and do nothing.

"Ughhhh! I have had enough of this bed. I want to get up and see my babies. I want to go sit in the garden and look at the dragon fountain. I want to see my brother and Dumitri and Susan. In short, I WANT OUT OF THIS BED!!" Mikhail frowned at Ember. She had never shown a temper before. 'No, I haven't. But then, I haven't been confined to a bed for days on end before, either." 

"Alright, my love, I will let you go to the garden and have the children bought to you." Ember's eyes lit up and she began to grin. "Before you get too excited, there are some rules. You will not get up and walk around. The children's caregivers will be there to help, as will Dumitri and Susan. If you promise to behave, We will go to the gardens." Mikhail smiled down at Ember. She looked like a child on Christmas morning, she was so excited.