The Council

Ember's dress the night of the ball.

Ember was trying her best calm down. She was a nervous wreck. Tonight was the night that she would be introduced to Mikhail's people. The last thing she wanted to do was embarrass her mate. Over the last two weeks they had spent a lot of time together. He had slowly begun to educate her about his world, her new world. The Council was responsible for upholding the law and keeping the peace. They were also responsible for all vampiric legal matters within their community. When asked, Mikhail had told her that the council itself was comprised of seven elected elder vampires, male and female both. Each one voted into their position by their particular communities.

Tonight, she would be presented as Mikhail's mate and queen. Queen. Ember gulped and tried again to control her racing heart. Mikhail, hearing his mate's thoughts and feeling her anxiety, reached out and grasped her small, trembling hand in his warm one. Bringing it up to his mouth, her kissed her palm, causing her heart to race for a different reason.

"Easy, my love. They will love you as I do. Well, not like I do. But they will still love you. Just be yourself and they cannot help but love you. The Council will not reject you. As my mate, you will automatically be my queen. However, I have some bad news." Mikhail wrapped his arm around her and pulled her into his side when her heart rate accelerated again. "I must leave you for a short while. I must speak with the head of the Council about my uncle. After what he did to Alexandrov, he seems to have disappeared. But, Dumitri will be your constant companion. He is not just my only friend, he is your bodyguard." At Ember's gasp and stutter, Mikhail placed a finger under her chin to raise her face to look at him.

"I am a powerful man, love. I have not always been a kind or generous man. Because of these things, I have a number of deadly enemies. Enemies who would seek to use you to harm me. If something were to happen to you, many lives would be forfeit. I would become too dangerous. Almost unstoppable. Now my love, we are here. It's time to show these vampires why I love you so much."

Ember sat quietly as the limo they were riding in pulled up to a large mansion.

Ember looked around trying not to be obvious. Mikhail sensing her trepidation, chuckled. "Love, stop looking. There are no tasteless scenes out of some Hollywood movie. No public sex. No human being sucked dry for some vampire's pleasure. We like to think that we are better than that. No mistake, there are vampires who do have parties like that. However, you will not find it here. Now, if you will pardon me, my love, the faster I take care of this business, the faster I can get back to you." Motioning for Dumitri, he turned and disappeared down a dark corridor.

"Come, Little Flame. My sister is dying to meet you. She can't wait to meet the little human who captured the big, bad vampire's heart." Dumitri gently led Ember toward the throng of people talking. When they entered what could only be called a ballroom, everyone stopped talking and turned. Sensing Ember's unease, he leaned down and whispered in her ear.