DUMITRI'S LOVE

This song is from 1978. But, I promise if you listen to the words, you'll agree. IT'S HOT!!!

Susan lay on her side curled up next to Dumitri. While her head lay on his chest, her hand absently caressed all of the planes of his chest. She sighed deeply. Hearing his mate, Dumitri knew she was overthinking things again.

"Stop it, Susan. There's nothing you can do, and I will not ask you to put her in a nursing home or care facility, of any kind. We will be together forever. A few years either way isn't going to matter."

"I know Dumitri. I just want to be with you, but at the same time, I want my mom to live. The cancer has done such a number on her. When it became apparent that radiation and chemotherapy wasn't going to work, she gave up. I've had to watch her die by degrees as the cancer moves through her body, killing her slowly and painfully. I don't want to watch it anymore." Dumitri felt the hot tears run off of her face onto his chest. 

Gathering her up in his arms, he held his mate and let her cry. Her crying wore her out. His poor mate was exhausted anyway. She wouldn't allow just anyone to take care of her mother. In fact, Susan had almost no personal life. It had taken him paying her mother's sitter an exorbitant amount of money so he could have a night with her. It wasn't that he didn't want to meet her mother. He had. She had instantly known what he was and had told him so. His Susan didn't know about the conversation that he and her mother had while she was getting ready.

"I'm dying, you know. I'm glad that Susan will have someone after I am gone. Poor girl has shut herself off from the rest of the world since I became ill. Lord know that her step-father hasn't been any help. Can't even find the sodder. At least the old fool would have been some comfort for my baby." He had bitten his lip to keep from laughing.

"May I ask what happened to Susan's biological father?" Susan had never spoken of her dad, and he realized that he might be a sore subject.

"Her sperm donor, you mean?" Dumitri couldn't help himself. This time he did release a bark of laughter as he nodded.

"Took off right after Susan was born. She was three months old, I had almost no saving, no family and no way to get help. Reynard was an answer to a prayer. It was like he had been just biding his time and when Thomas left, then he saw his opportunity to step in. He did love me and Susan. He treated her like his own daughter. I remember one time a young man came to our house to pick her up for a date. Reynard answered the door. Well, let me tell you, you could smell the weed all the way to the back of the house where I was. Suddenly, Both Susan and Reynard started shouting at each other. The next thing I know is that the front door slammed and I could her Susan crying her heart out. Come to find out, Reynard had told the young man that if he wanted to date his daughter, he better be clean and sober to do it and then slammed the door in his face."

"Mom, please tell me that you did not tell Dumitri about that night with Bobby Shire?" Susan's face was a lovely shade of crimson.

"Yes love. I'm afraid she did. Now don't get upset with her. Moms the world over do it. Now, we have to get going, or we'll miss our reservations, love." Dumitri waited by the door as Susan gave the sitter her instructions and  she said goodnight to her mom. He was sure he mom didn't mean for him to overhear her statement to her daughter. 

"Keep this one, Susan. I have a feeling that you would never be able to run him off. I think you have finally found your "one," my darling. Don't worry about coming home tonight. Dorothy and I have each others company and we'll be just fine. Now. scoot. Go have a good time and ejoy yourself." 

end flashback

Dumitri held his mate while she slept. He was just drifting off when his phone rang. NO one called him this late. Except MIkhail. The twins! Something was wrong with Ember!