03 | Control

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
iii. CONTROL

╚══════════════════╝

STORMS MUST ARISE BEFORE rainbows can paint the skies

STORMS MUST ARISE BEFORE rainbows can paint the skies. Lorelai Swan wasn't sure about many things, but she was convinced that rainbows were not the symbol of happiness.

Sure, they were colorful, iridescent. Sometimes if light reflected off of some glass in a certain way, the stripes of a rainbow would emerge along walls, puddles, and the rest of the world. Some liked to believe that at the end of a rainbow, a pot of gold and magical entities could be found.

However, Lorelai Swan despised rainbows and every little thing they seemed to "symbolize", for the way she saw it, rainbows merely masked the slowly fading thunderclouds with their sparkles and colors. They distracted from the bad, bad things life had to offer.

"Pick up your tits, Bella! Let's go!" shouted Lorelai, huffing and puffing. She dragged her body forward, despite how exhausted it was, as she and Bella hiked up a steep hill. The latter seemed to be following shortly behind.

"Next time, I'll just pull up a pic of the sky on Google and turn off the lights in the house," grumbled Bella, digging the heels of her dirty converse into the ground. "It's the same thing!"

"The view is best at the top! Come on!" Lorelai snickered at the sound of Bella groaning.

Sometimes, the glamour of rainbows was just enough to numb the pain. Bella Swan was Lorelai's rainbow.

Shaking her head, Lorelai uncontrollably laughed as she sat beside her sister moments later at the top of the hill. "Are you fucking with me, Bella?" she demanded in amusement. "Okay, say Dad lets you get a butterfly tattoo. I still wouldn't approve!"

"What?" Bella demanded, "Why!"

"That's lame as hell!" she continued to tease. "I'd rather see you get a... oh, I don't know... a chain-smoking bunny on your ribcage or something. Now, that is what I call a conversation starter."

Bella sat with her legs crisscrossed, whereas Lorelai's body was sprawled outward, her hands embedded in the dirt and grass. A low chattering from woodland creatures filled their ears, the sound gradually fading into nothing as they fell asleep. However, as they entered their regularly scheduled slumber, the nighttime creatures awakened. Nature was always exploding with life. You were never truly alone in the outdoors. Charlie lectured Lorelai on this often—the dangers of animals and whatnot.

But Lorelai always found nature peaceful. It never judged, no matter what. It didn't know how to. It only existed in gratitude for those who tended to the greenery. When Forks felt too suffocating, Lorelai liked to wander into the forest for a breath of fresh air. It took her out of the shackles of her body, her mind.