03 | Simon Says

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
iii. SIMON SAYS

╚══════════════════╝

'ALL I WANT TO DO is cry and shave my head à la 2007 Britney Spears

'ALL I WANT TO DO is cry and shave my head à la 2007 Britney Spears. Do you think that'd be a good look on me?'

A chuckle left Lorelai as she read over the email. Her feet dragged along the cement sidewalk, her eyes glued to her cellphone. She was about to type up a response to the one called Stella Capulet when a whiff caught her attention. It was a very specific smell, bitter and musty, but Lorelai oddly recognized it.

Lorelai snapped her head upward as she stood before her home. She didn't waste a second. She sped up the stairs and swung open the door to her bedroom. The smell grew stronger inside, which caused Lorelai to realize it: Someone had been in her room. Though that hadn't been the most worrying part. What the most worrying aspect about it was that Lorelai recognized this smell.

She scanned her room, searching for one thing out of place before her eyes landed on the chair. The University of Seattle sweatshirt that had been lying there was suddenly gone. And that alone seemed to send the vampire into a state of frenzy.

Lorelai hurried back down the stairs and marched outside to find Bella, who had just arrived home after spending the day with Jacob Black. Bella frowned at Lorelai's exterior. "What's wrong—?" started Bella.

"Someone was here," Lorelai cut in, taking Bella's car keys from her hands. "Get back in the car. We have to go." 

Bella's eyes widened. "What!? What do you mean someone—!?"

"Do I have to say Simon Says? Let's go, Bella!" snapped Lorelai, practically throwing her sister into the passenger's seat. Lorelai turned on the rusting vehicle and pulled out of the driveway while punching in a number on her phone. 

"Rory," Jasper Hale's voice came after the first ring. "What's up?"

"Someone was in the house," Lorelai revealed, slamming her foot down on the gas. "Everyone's fine, but it was a vampire. And they went through our stuff. I mean, what kind of psycho just—Never mind. I'm kinda freaking out, Jasper."

"Don't worry," calmly demanded Jasper. "Emmett and I are going to go see if they can track the scent. I'll see you soon."

Lorelai nodded quickly, hanging up after mumbling a quick goodbye. The sisters sat in solemn silence. The eldest continues to glance over at Bella to see if she was okay, but as per usual, Bella held no distinct facial expression upon her features other than a furrowed eyebrow.

Finally, Bella sighed and said, "Jake would rather have me dead than be a vampire."

Lorelai arched an eyebrow, shooting her little sister a glance. "Does he know that you have to die to become one?" she questioned, hoping that talking would soothe her nerves. She sighed. "I'm sorry, B. That must've hurt."