03 | What An Asshole

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
iii. WHAT AN ASSHOLE

╚══════════════════╝

LORELAI WASN'T REALLY OPEN

LORELAI WASN'T REALLY OPEN. She was a closed-off person, which was ironic, considering all of her baggage was always on display for the world. She decided to blame the mental illness for that one, as always. What Lorelai meant by that was that she didn't talk a lot about her true feelings, the ones that made her vulnerable. She liked to put up a wall that no one could break apart unless she invited them to. Just her luck—Jasper Hale was the only one she encouraged to do so.

It had never occurred to her that she never spoke to Bella about her relationship with the Cullens. Lorelai knew how she, herself, felt about them. The Cullens were a second family to her. Meanwhile, Lorelai wasn't sure how much Bella was affected by their sudden... move, but she knew it was a lot.

A key difference between Lorelai and Bella was that the former knew how to detach her emotions when necessary. She didn't always do it, but she did when she wanted to. With the disappearance of the Cullens, Lorelai knew she had to turn off her emotions. If not for her own sake, then for Bella's. Lorelai wanted to be there for Bella.

She didn't know it then, but being strong for Bella was going to be much harder than she realized.

"Bella? It's me," Lorelai had called one afternoon. She stood on the opposing side of her sister's bedroom door, her fist delicately knocking on it. "Can I come in?"

"No," Bella faintly called. Rolling her eyes, Lorelai turned the cold doorknob and entered her room where Bella had been sitting on a small chair in front of her windows. She scoffed loudly when she heard the door open and close. "Seriously? God, it's like I can't get any fucking privacy in this stupid house."

Lorelai raised an eyebrow, but she brushed off her sister's rudeness. "I'm your big sister. Privacy isn't in my vocabulary, unfortunately for you—"

"What do you want?"

Lorelai walked over, sitting on the edge of her sister's unmade bed. "Alright, lose the 'tude," she stated. "I get it. You're upset because your immortal vampire boyfriend left town because he didn't want to kill you. What an asshole. But don't take your teen angst out on me, okay?"

Bella shook her head. "Can't you see that I want to be alone? I always let you be depressed when you want to. Just do this for me, okay?"