08 | Unexpected Reunions

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
viii. UNEXPECTED REUNIONS

╚══════════════════╝

TIME IS A JOKE.

Sometimes time is a snail with sluggish tendencies that can drive you mad. However, time can be free like a bird, flying so swiftly that you wonder where the time went. How can something be so versatile, so contradictory?

Today was March 16th, making it one month since... well, everything.

She had grown comfortable with her vampire abilities. She used to freak out every time she sprinted a mile when all she had been trying to do was take a step forward. Now, she flaunted her superhuman powers, especially whenever Sam Uley was around (she knew he was secretly jealous of her guns). Now, Lorelai Swan was learning to embrace herself. Baby steps.

She always speculated what Bella Swan was up to. Maybe she was sulking or reading a new book. Perhaps she finally cut her hair. All of these were logical theories, but they were all wrong.

Cliff-diving. Cliff-diving was the right answer.

"What the hell, Bella!" shouted a distressed Lorelai. She dashed forward as Jacob Black finished performing CPR on Bella's soaked, sandy body. The human shivered, her lips turning blue as she laid on the shoreline of the beach.

Jacob shot Lorelai a glance, one that was a blend of worry and surprise. "You're not supposed to be over here. If Sam figures out you broke the treaty—"

"I didn't agree to any fucking treaty! That's my sister!" snapped Lorelai while kneeling beside her. Damp sand caked her knees. "I haven't seen my sister in a month because of your stupid tribe and now, she's trying to fucking kill herself!"

Jacob paused, licking his lips. He couldn't argue with that. "How'd you know where she was?"

Lorelai answered, "She reeks of stupidity and teen angst. I could hear her scream from all the way out in the woods." She scrunched up her nose, suddenly recoiling with realization. "Wow, the dog smell is even worse out here. Jesus."

Bella suddenly sat up, saltwater beginning to expel from her lungs as she aggressively coughed. Lorelai frowned and wished that the water would exit her system faster.

Like magic, the water shot out of Bella's lungs like a faucet. Jacob supportively rubbed her back as she proceeded to cough manically. If she coughed any harder, Lorelai was sure her sister's internal organs would go flying out onto the shoreline.

When she was done, Bella stammered through heavy breaths, "J-Jake... Jesus, I thought... I thought I saw Rory for a second there..."

"Wake up, princess, I'm right here!" snapped Lorelai. "Are you out of your damn mind, Isabella!?" She placed her hands on Bella's shoulders, her grip tightening. "Are you trying to kill yourself!?"