05 | Suffocating

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
v. SUFFOCATING

╚══════════════════╝

"YOU'RE SHITTING ME. THAT'S the last of it?" questioned 15-year-old Lorelai Swan. She ran a hand through her tousled, reddish-brown hair.

"I can't believe it," a much younger Jacob Black responded with a smirk.

"How am I supposed to beat you at Monopoly if I'm practically broke?" she queried, causing Jacob to shrug his shoulders.

The young teenager flashed a big smile at Lorelai. The two spent a lot of time together, especially now that Lorelai was living with Charlie in Forks. Although he was a bit too bright for Lorelai's edgy teen demeanor, she did enjoy his company a bit more than her old friends back in Phoenix.

"If ya can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen," Jacob arrogantly stated. Lorelai stared at him for a moment before the two burst out in laughter. "That was pretty lame, wasn't it?"

With a smile on her face, the girl who resembled a skeleton nodded and said, "You have no idea, but at least you're self-aware of your dorkishness."

"I'm pretty sure that isn't a word," admitted Jacob. "And I don't think you're in any place to argue considering you're about to get destroyed."

"Rory, did you hear what I just said?" Carlisle asked.

Jumping, Rory stared at the man she viewed as a father. "Yeah, yeah," she told him. "No." He sighed, repeating himself. Rory's eyes widened as she stared at the bag of blood sitting before her. "You're shitting me. That's the last of it?"

"I can't believe it," Jacob mumbled from beside Rory.

Carlisle nodded. "Bella could deliver as early as tomorrow," he informed the two. "If she's going to have any chance at all, she'll need more blood."

"And you need to feed," Esme reminded her husband. "You have to be at your strongest for her. We need to go tonight."

Rory and Jacob both shook their heads. "Carlisle, you're the enemy now," Jacob reminded the doctor. "Sam won't hesitate. You will be slaughtered."

"Emmett will come with us," Esme encouraged.

"That won't be enough," Rory told the two. "I'll come with you."