06 | Getting to Know You

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
vi. GETTING TO KNOW YOU

╚══════════════════╝

IN HINDSIGHT, BEFRIENDING A vampire was probably the most on-brand thing Lorelai could do at this point in her life

She'd always wondered about the Cullens, as did everyone in Forks. They were an enigmatic bunch, rich beyond anything Lorelai could probably comprehend if they truly were immortal. She had so many questions, but part of her wondered if knowing the answers would do her any good. The Cullens said knowing their family secret put her in grave danger, after all.

Then again, she'd already gotten this far.

Jasper Hale intrigued Lorelai more and more as the days passed. They were opposites in the sense that Lorelai was much more open than the closed-off vampire. She knew Jasper just kept his distance to protect Lorelai, worried that he'd suck her dry. Now, that was something that worried Lorelai just a little bit, but she'd just keep that to herself for now.

Throughout their time as friends, which wasn't more than a few weeks, Lorelai did most of the talking. Sometimes Jasper would speak, but he preferred to keep his distance. He was warming up though. Slowly but surely. As much as an ice-cold immortal dude could, at least.

"Hey, Jasper, can I ask you something?"

It had become Lorelai's mission to become this boy's friend. It might've been because she was lonely, because no one in Forks really wanted to associate with her (and Charlie being the Chief probably didn't help much in terms of her getting invited to parties). For all of her years spent alone, she never thought she was a lonely person until she got a taste of company. Company that wasn't her father or sister, at least. When was the last time Lorelai even made friends?

She'd been sitting on the ground, legs crisscrossed. Jasper had been several feet away, most likely hiding out in a tree.

This was about as much as their friendship had developed since they met. It was more for Lorelai's safety than anything. She'd assured Jasper that as long as he didn't kill her on purpose, he could at least walk closer to her. But most of the time, he refused. He was stoic in that sense. He liked to observe, which made sense for a hunter.

He was so insistent on staying away from her, yet he kept finding her on her daily walks through the woods. It wasn't by chance. Lorelai knew this much after learning about how sharp a vampire's senses are. He kept finding her, and Lorelai figured he was as curious as she was.

"That day we met," Lorelai went on, "Alice said she saw me in a vision. Was she on something, or do you guys have superpowers, too?"

A short-lived gust of wind vented as Jasper appeared a few feet before Lorelai in seconds.