04 | Skinny Balls

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
iv. SKINNY BALLS

╚══════════════════╝

AS IF FATE COULDN'T have a better sense of humor, it wasn't much later when Lorelai and her father rushed into the hospital

AS IF FATE COULDN'T have a better sense of humor, it wasn't much later when Lorelai and her father rushed into the hospital. Contrary to popular belief, this was actually the first time the visit wasn't for Lorelai.

The feeble teenager's voice boomed throughout the emergency room as Lorelai roared, "Bella!" She sprinted forward with Charlie following on her tail, just as agonized as his daughter.

It hardly took them any time to locate Bella. Lorelai rushed to her sister's side as an elderly trauma nurse examined Bella's eyes with a penlight. On the next gurney over was a dark-skinned boy with guilt plastered on his features. Lorelai had a feeling he had something to do with the accident.

Charlie was panting by the time he found his daughters. "Bells, are you alright!?"

"What the hell happened!?" demanded Lorelai.

Wincing at the intensity of her family, Bella just squeaked, "I'm fine, guys. Calm down."

"You could've died!" Lorelai insisted. "After everything we talked about the other night—"

"I'm so sorry, Bella," called the guilty-looking boy. "I tried to stop."

Bella sighed and reassured, "It's okay, Tyler." It clicked in Lorelai's head that this boy, Tyler, was the one who nearly murdered Bella.

See, just a few moments prior to this very one, Lorelai had been cuddled up in bed, watching some God-awful reality show when her father had received a call about how Bella was nearly flattened like a pancake in the school parking lot. Lorelai had never rushed to the hospital so willingly in her life.

"It sure as hell is not okay," Charlie unhappily imposed as Lorelai added, "Seriously, Bella! Are you on crack?"

"Guys, it's not his fault—"

"We nearly lost you," interjected Charlie, a stern tone sewn into his voice.

"But you didn't," Bella instantaneously countered.

Lorelai fought back the urge to roll her eyes at this excuse. The sisters knew that her words were most definitely something Lorelai had said once or twice before. Still, she felt the need to hit Bella for being and sounding so stupid, even if it wasn't her fault for nearly dying.

"It's bad enough that one of us is already actively dying," Lorelai hissed. "I don't wanna have to worry about you, too!"

"Now you know how it feels," Bella remarked.