03

Lyra (1)

It was quiet on the way back to the island. I watched as my father looked up at the statue of Avatar Aang.

His frown showed he was troubled. When he looked over to Korra, I followed his gaze. I watched him close his eyes and sigh.

"What would Aang do?" I asked him a low, calm voice. "Something I wouldn't." He replied.

I gave him a weak smile, "You'll know what to do."

When the ferry docked, the White Lotus was already there for Korra.

My father and I watched Korra walk toward the ship with a frown. She was stopped when my siblings flew down on their gliders.

"Korra!" They ran toward her and hugged her tightly. "Are you coming to live with us on the island?" Ikki asked hopefully.

"No, I'm sorry Ikki. I have to go home now." Korra replied sadly. They walked over to us and I picked up Meelo and held him as we watched her go with Naga. I looked up to my father who still seemed agitated. "Is this really what you think is best?" I asked him.

"...wait." He began to walked toward Korra, "I have done my best to guide Republic City towards the dream my father had for it. But you are right, it is fallen out of balance since he passed. I thought I should put off your training in order to uphold his legacy, but you are his legacy. You may stay and train air bending here with me. Republic City needs its Avatar once again." 

"Yes! Thank you!" Korra gleed. "You're the best!"

I laughed while my brother and sisters cheered. Korra picked us all up in her arms, including my father, and tightly hugged us.

"I told you you'd know what to do!" I told him and he deeply sighed.

Once Korra put us down, I watched my siblings attack Korra with activities they could do while she's here.

As I began to pet Naga, I gasped when I saw the glowing arena. "Oh, spirits! I'm late!"

As I was making my way to the ferry boat, I was stopped by my father. "Not tonight Lyra."

"But dad-!"

"I said no."

I sighed and watched them walk past me. I followed behind them with my shoulders slumped. I looked over my shoulder at the glowing arena and frowned, "Sorry guys."

>>>

"Cozy." Korra nodded as we walked into her new room. I watched as she sat on her bed and wiggled her body on it. "Cushiony."

She noticed I was upset and asked me about it. "What's wrong?"

"Huh? Oh nothing." I shook my head. "It's been a long day, that's all."

"Tell me about it." Korra groaned and laid back, "tomorrow's a big day."

I walked over to her bed and sat at the end of it, "Are you nervous?"

"More excited than nervous." Korra replied. "I've been waiting for this a long time."

"You'll do great." I softly smiled. "I'll let you sleep. Goodnight."

"See you tomorrow!"

I walked out of her room and shut the door. As I made my way to my own room, I passed my father without giving him even a side glance.

"Lyra."

I slowly turned around and by my expression, I clearly showed him I was upset.

"I'm sorry you didn't go to the arena tonight." He 'apologized.'

I crossed my arms, "No you're not."

My father cleared his throat, "Okay, I'm not. But, you go almost every night. One night isn't going to kill you."  

"I never miss a match dad. Never. It's like Avatar day! It's a tradition! It's important."

My father sighed, "I didn't want Korra to know you go to those insulting matches."

"Why?" I asked him.

"She needs to focus on her training. I know you spend your time there so if Korra asks, make up an excuse - or better yet, say you're running errands for me. Alright?"

I nodded.

"Thank you. Goodnight, Lyra."