16

Lyra (1)

It was already dark out when Kano and I began making our way back to the ferry. I started to feel a little sick so Kano thought it was best if I went home.

"I had a nice time." Kano said while he put his coat over my shoulders. I thanked him before nodding, "I did too."

Kano let me pick where we'd have lunch and I chose to eat hotdogs at my favorite hotdog stand. Mine and Mako's favorite hotdog stand.

Then he wanted to walk around the park. Once we got tired of walking, we decided to sit down under a tree. I chose the exact tree Mako and I sat under with Korra and Naga.

We spent hours talking before we had dinner. Kano chose to eat at a Fire Nation diner that recently opened up.

Once I finally confessed to Kano of me not feeling well - only because I was getting slightly annoyed with his constant bicker about how I don't look good and the reoccurring question of 'you sure you're okay? You don't look okay' - this is where we are now.

I told Kano that I knew a short cut to the ferry, which was through a dark alley. After convincing Kano that's we'd be alright, he finally followed.

"I go this way all the time." I said. "I never get any trouble."

"I'm sure no one would want to mess with the councilman's daughter."

"Not everyone knows. Mako and Bolin just found out not too long ago."

"Really?"

I nodded, "I never told anyone but you."

"Ah, but you didn't tell me. A hybrid pig wouldn't have much trouble connecting the dots." Kano chuckled.

I sighed with a slight smile, "I guess you're right."

Kano continued to talk about our young times on the ferry, I simply listened. Once we were deeper in the alley, I started to hear feet skidding behind me and cackling noises.

Kano's voice being too loud in his head, he didn't hear anything. I kept turning my head back and Kano finally caught on. "Everything okay?"

"Someone's following us." I said lowly. Kano turned around, "There's no one there."

"But I keep hearing-"

"We're in an alley. A stray is probably around trying to find food." It sounded like he was trying to convince himself rather than me.

I started to hear harsh wind sounds, except this time it came from a higher level. "They're on the roof!"

I shot a stream of fire at the equalist on the roof before grabbing Kano's wrist and running off, his coat slipping off me in the process.

The equalist jumped off of the roof and landed in front of us. "Stay behind me!" I yelled to Kano.

I sent him a stream of fire that he easily blocked. He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and pinned me to the wall. With his electrified glove, he touched the side of my stomach. A painful sensation went throughout my body and I screamed in agony.

"Lyra!"

I couldn't feel anything anymore. It was like my body went numb. When I was dropped to the floor, I barely felt my body hit the ground.

I tried lifting myself up, but the pain was too much for me. When I heard grunts, I slowly turned my head.

Kano and the Equalist were now battling each other. To my surprise, Kano was winning. It was only a surprise because Kano was earth bending. And he told me he wasn't a bender whatsoever.

"K-Kano?"

Once the Equalist was unconscious on the floor, Kano ran over to me. "You'll be okay Lyra. I've got you."

I felt him him pick me up and continued to run out of the alley before I too went unconscious.

>>>

When I was conscious again, I was in my own room. I did my best to sit up, wincing at the pain that stung from my side. I realized that my wound was now bandaged. How long have I been out for?

I slightly jumped when my door opened. It'd be corny to say the pain I felt just now went away when I met the eyes of the man who walked in.

I wearingly smiled, "Mako."

He rushed to the side of my bed, finding my hand and giving it a squeeze. "You're okay." He said in a relief. "I'm so happy you're okay."

"H-how'd I get here?" I asked while looking around my room. "I- I was with someone."

"Kano..."

I nodded, "Yes. Did you see him? Is he here? Is he alright?"

"He's fine and the least of my concerns. An Equalist attacked you, that's my main concern right now." Mako held the bridge of his nose. "Where were you? Why weren't you out in a place where people were around?"

I was too tired to explain anything to him. Instead, I placed my hand on his cheek, "I'm tired. We'll talk about this later, is that alright?"

Mako nodded with a sigh, "Of course."

"Oh, thank the spirits you're alright!" My father and mother rushed into the room. Mako let go of my hand and moved away from my bed.

"We were worried for hours. Oh, we're glad you're okay." My mother said while cupping my cheeks. "Are you in a lot of pain?"

I shook my head slowly. "I'm just... sore." I half-lied. I looked past my parents and met Mako's eyes once again. He sent me a small smile before leaving leaving out of my room.

"Tell me everything that happened." My father demanded. I faced them again and sighed. "Tomorrow. I'll explain everything tomorrow."