17

Lyra (1)

"You look better." Kano said as he walked into my room. I was seated at the edge of my bed with an invitation in my hand. "What's that?" Kano asked me, taking a seat next to me.

"An invitation to a Gala hosted by Councilman Tarrlok in honor of Avatar Korra." I said with a sigh. "Well that's a mouthful." Kano chuckled.

"It's tonight." I said while facing him. "And we're going."

"We?" Kano lifted his brows. "As in you and I?"

I nodded. "I need a date."

"Okay! I'll be your date!" He said quickly with a smile. I lightly laughed and he nervously chuckled. "I mean, yeah, sure. Whatever."

"Great. I'll meet you at the dock."

"But, are you even okay to go, Lyra? It's only been two days since you've been hurt."

"Two days have been long enough." I shrugged. "Korra healed me and I don't feel numb anymore. It wore off a little after you brought me home. I feel fine."

Kano sighed, "Lyra-"

I crossed my arms. "I'm going with or without you. Now if you don't mind, I need to get ready and so do you if you're coming with me."

Kano stood up. "Alright, alright. I'll see you later."

>>>

My father and mother, my siblings, and Korra were all outside talking amongst themselves. They were all dressed in formal attire, including me. "You didn't forget about me, did you?"

They all turned around and everyone smiled except my father. He rushed to my side. "Lyra, what are you doing out of bed?"

I waved him off, "I'm okay dad. I feel much better."

"Nonsense, get back in bed this instant." He pointed his finger behind me. I looked behind him and asked for help from my mother. She stepped toward us, "Tenzin, let her join us. If she says she feels okay then she feels okay. We'll be by her side the whole time, there's nothing to worry about."

My father looked down at me and sighed. "Alright then. But if you start to feel any pain, you'll let me know at once."

"I will dad. Promise."

"Very well. Now, let's get to the ferry before we're late."

As we started walking to the dock, Meelo pulled at the end of my dress. I looked down at him with a smile, "What can I do for you, little man?"

"You look very pretty tonight." He said before he reached his hand up. "Can I have some of your hair?"

I laughed while picking him up. "Maybe another time." He crossed his arms, "I want to look pretty too!"

"You do look pretty."

He grinned, "Really?! Meelo looks pretty!"

When we reached the ferry, I spotted Kano. I waved to him and he did the same. "You look beautiful." He said to me when I was in front of him. "Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself."

When we all walked on, I grabbed Kano's hand and lead him to a spot away from everyone else. "So, I've been waiting for you to explain to me what happened at the alley." I said with my hands on my hips.

"Explain what?" Kano asks with his brows furrowed. "That you're an earth bender." I said matter-of-factly. He quickly covered my mouth, "Could you not be so loud?"

I moved his hand away before stepping closer to him. "Why is it a secret?"

Kano sighed, "I'll explain later." I shook my head. "No, now. I want to know now. Why did you keep it from me?"

"...You know my dad is really passionate about the family business." He starts. "Before I knew I was an earth bender, he told me I couldn't be one. That when I found out, not to tell anyone, not even him. He says bending is a distraction. Not that he has anything against benders, it's just not for him."

I turned my head and saw Kano's father chatting with mine. "That sucks, Kano. I'm sorry."

Kano shrugged. "Ah, it's whatever. Whenever I'm not working, I try to earth bend as much as I can. And, I don't want to disappoint my dad."

I nodded. "I understand.... well, thank you for all your help."

"Of course, Lyra. I'll always be there to help you."