Chapter 12

Chapter 12   Devotion

"Lyra." A voice whispered, shaking a sleeping child awake.

"Come on sweetheart, wake up."

I woke up with a start, and then bolted right up. The voice scared me, as it was only Amanda that usually woke me up. I looked around and my eyes finally located Adam standing above me. He was already dressed in his suit.

"Come on, I want to show you something." He said.

"Whatimeizit." I asked him, still groggy.

"It's 5:30am." He answered.

"Why are you waking me up so early? I'm tired!" I said to him.

"Oh come on sleepy head, I want to show you something." He said to me again.

Adam reached over from the ladder to my bed and got me to climb down. When i got down, he picked me up. He put me on his back and put both of his hands on my butt to hold me up.

"Someone has a squishy tushy this morning." He said laughing.

"I know." I giggled back.

We proceeded down the stairs and he carried me out into the backyard. He put me down and just stood there. After he sat in a chair on the patio, he motioned for me to come over to him. He set me in his lap and cuddled me.

"You see that?" He said while pointing at the sky.

The sun is rising. Isn't it just beautiful?" He asked me.

It was amazing. I was never up early enough to actually see the sun come up. But now, seeing how pretty and unique witnessing the sunrise, i was definitely going to make a habit of being up early enough to see this.

"Yeah it is! I love it! It is so pretty!" I said to him, absolutely stunned by the sight.

"Just like you, my little princess." He said to me.

At this, I was really beginning to like Adam. A lot. I thought he hated me, but I knew now, that he loved me. I wanted to stay in his lap forever. We sat in silence just watching the great orange sun rise, he rubbed my back  and cuddled me. His watch beeped right after the sun was up.

"Uh oh! I need to go or I'm going to be late for work." He said.

"Awwe, just say you're sick! Pweease!" I said to him, giving him a pouty face.

"Sorry munchkin, I can't do that. Tell you what, how about we do this again tomorrow?" He asked me with a hopeful smile.

"I would love that." I told him with excitement in my voice.

"Okay, perfect, let's get you back up to bed so you can get a couple more hours of sleep." He took my hand and led me back up the stairs to my room. I climbed under the covers and then Adam gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Sleep well Lyra." Adam said to me.

"Bye bye, have a good day at work." I said to him.

He turned the light off as he left my room, and I rolled over. I drifted off to sleep only to wake up at noon.

When I woke up, my diaper was completely soaked. I walked downstairs and saw Amanda watching TV in the living room.

"Morning sweetie, sleep well?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I actually did, like a baby." I said to her.

"Good to hear, hey did you give Emily our number?" She asked.

"Oh, oopsie, I forgot to tell you. Yeah, I did, I wanted her to come over today." I said to Amanda.

"Oh, well, I don't think she is going to be able to, she called and said that she was very sorry and that hopefully she can next weekend. She seemed kind of weirded out by talking to me, just because I'm her teacher." Amanda said.

"Hehe, oh well, maybe another time." I said.

The day was uneventful, I ate lunch, watched TV, played on the trampoline, and went on the computer. That was about it. I actually made it to the toilet once, and Amanda fed me a bottle and gave me a bath again. At dinner time, she made meatloaf, and it was delicious. She cleaned me up, and I went to bed earlier than usual. While I was in bed, I did some thinking. I was doing a pretty good job getting over my father's death. Maybe when school starts back up, I could go and enjoy school again. Of course I would have to get out of diapers by then though, but I knew I could do that. With what I've been through, I was confudent that I could do it. I could be back at school by next month, when everyone else returnsfrom summer break. I decided to take it up with Amanda tomorrow, and even talk to Adam about it in the morning. My head was just so jumbled with ideas, the things I would have to do to get back to school and so forth. Finally, I fell into a deep sleep.