Chapter 14

Chapter 14  Conclusion  

For two weeks straight, I worked on getting to the toilet on time, and made it, with only a few close calls. But those were all in the first week, the second week was accident free. I was also being treated more like a 14 year old, opposed to a little kid. I rarely used baby things anymore, like bottles or being bathed by Amanda, which I only did a few times. Although, it always seemed to help when I was having a bad day. Being fed a bottle or even some cuddle time really helped to calm me down.

In some ways I was finally becoming a young adult. Living with Amanda and Adam seemed like a whole new adventure for me, I went through rough times, and going to school tomorrow would be the beginning of the rest of my life. With my father dying it seemed like I couldn't live without him, like I would never have a normal life again, but the truth is that I finally was. I couldn't wait to see my friends, or my teachers. I WANTED to be normal again, and for that, I was so excited.

The toilet flushed and I walked out of the bathroom.

"Hey mom." I said to Amanda, who was sitting at the dining room table, doing some work, because was going back the week after I started school, which was tomorrow.

"Hey Lyra, ready for tomorrow?" Amanda asked me.

"Almost." I replied, "Just have to get my school supplies ready."

"Okay, go do that then!" She said.

I walked up the stairs and to my room and sat on the chair next to my desk. I always loved shopping for school supplies, one of my favorite things. I took all my pens, pencils, and erasers
and art supplies and put them in all the right pockets. I unzipped my new 5-star binder and put some things in there too. I opened a fresh pack of paper and took in a whiff, I loved the smell, it smelt fresh. I used to always get my school supplies ready with my dad, and right now, this reminded me of him. I can still hear him saying 'Come on now, you know you can't put all of your red pens next to your blue ones!'

I just chuckled and continued putting things where they belong. Once I was done, I put everything into my backpack and went downstairs.

"Okay, I'm ready to go." I said to Amanda.

"Okay then, let's go! Don't forget your shoes!" Was her response as she got up from the table and walked over to the front door.

We both slipped our shoes on and went out the front door and got in the car. Once we were buckled in, Amanda started the car. And we drove down the street. I looked out the window and watched all the trees pass by me. They were pretty, some with pink buds, others with big leaves. I saw a squirrel run up one of the trees to his family, 'probably the dad squirrel, bringing back food' I giggled.

"What's so funny?" Amanda asked with a smirk.

"Oh nothing." I said back, still smiling to myself.

We finally came to a big stretch of land, with a black iron fence enclosing it. We pulled up to the gates and drove down the winding grey cement road, until, finally, we pulled up to my parent's tomb stones.

"I'll wait here, okay?" Amanda said to me.

"Okay." I said, while getting out of the car and walking over, first remembering to grab the bunch of roses that were sitting between us.

I sat down on the too-long grass and stared at the slabs of grey granet.

"Roger Waters" and "Hannah Waters" they read in bold print at the tops. On dad's read "Beloved father of Lyra Waters, you will be missed." Then on mom's was a poem in italic font,  "If tears could build a staircase, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven, and bring you down again." I stared at the stone, and tears came to my eyes. I wanted to go up to heaven and bring them back, but I couldn't do that, the most I could do was look to them for guidance, which, many can't say now, even when their parents are alive.