The Fag Swag {9}

“Nick, what are you doing?” Molly asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

                “Trying to figure out Phil,” I mumbled.

                “Through your yearbooks?”

                “Yes, Molly. Through my yearbooks.”

                Molly came and sat next to me, peeking over my shoulder curiously. “Is that Phil?” she asked, pointing. I nodded.

                “What grade is that?” she asked.

                “Fifth grade,” I mumbled. “Look at how adorable he was.” I smiled a little. He looked like…well, the way he looked when I stood up to him. Confused. Childlike. Adorable. Only in this picture, it made sense. He was probably only about 10 or 11 years old in this picture.

                Molly snatched the yearbook out of my hands and shut it, rolling her eyes. “Nick, creeping on pictures of little Phil won’t reveal his entire life to you. It just makes you look like a pedophile. Now let’s go to bed.”

                She pulled me to my feet and dragged me over to my bed. We crawled in together and I wrapped my arms around her.

                “Aw! Nicky! You’re in bed with a girl!”

                “Mom,” I groaned. “Get out of my room. And shut the door.”

                Mom smiled and winked at me. “And here I was, convinced I would have adopted grandchildren,” she said.

                “Mom, I’m still gay! Molly’s just my friend!” I said impatiently. “Goodbye and goodnight.”

                Mom giggled. “Of course you’re still gay. You wouldn’t be my little Nicky if you weren’t! Goodnight baby! I love you!” She blew me a kiss before giggling again and shutting my bedroom door.

                “Oh my lanta. I’m not related to her. I can’t be,” I moaned.

                “Oh Nick. I love your crazy mom,” Molly said and laughed. “Remember the time before you came out as gay?” She slapped a hand over her mouth to stop more laughter.

                I pouted at her. “That was a horrible time, and my mother is a horribly crazy woman,” I grumbled.

                “David, don’t make fun of Nicky for dressing that way! I think he’s gay, and I don’t want you to hurt his feelings!” she said in a fairly accurate imitation of my mom’s voice.

                I face palmed myself. “I. Am. Adopted.”

                Molly laughed and kissed my cheek. “You wish. Goodnight Nick!” I sighed hopelessly and let myself fall asleep with Molly.

                                                                                                ***

                “She’s so wasted, acting crazy, making a scene like it’s her birthday! Drinking champagne, going insane, falling on me like it’s her birthday!”

                “I think the only reason I sleepover your house so much is so that your music wakes me up for school,” Molly said as she turned my alarm off. “Because sometimes I actually like your musical tastes.”