9

Making her way through the crowd was a challenge enough, but getting her drunk father to be able to focus both eyes on her was even worse. "Dad," Maya complained after it had been a solid two minutes. Her dad chuckled and took another swig if his drink before looking over at her.

"Yesssssss?" her father asked making sure to drag out the 's' sound. "Can you turn down the music for a second? I just want to sing you a song for your birthday," Maya said excitedly. Her father's eyes widened and he gave her a goofy grin.

"A song?" Her father asked and Maya nodded her head. Tony smiled and stumbled across the stage before grabbing ahold of a microphone. It fumbled around in his hand before he eventually steadied it.

"Hello? Is this thing working?" Tony slurred out and once a round of cheers filled the air, he knew that it was. "Greeeat. My kid has a. . .a. . .um song to sing, so be quiet or I'll blast you!" Tony exclaimed before he stumbled off the stage, literally falling on his side. Thankfully he was wearing his Iron Man suit, so he only let out a groan from having hit the floor, but other than that he was fine.

Maya rolled her eyes at him, not trying to even think about if he would remember this or not. Maya walked up onto the stage and the room immediately filled with cheers. Maya blushed slightly and walked to the center of the stage, her eyes scanning over her audience until they landed on Pepper and Rhodey who looked like they were arguing as they gestured towards Tony. The two quickly stopped once they caught sight of the girl and gave her reassuring smiles.

Maya gave them a slight smile and then placed the microphone on a stand before saying, "Um. . .hi, I'm Maya and in honor of my dad's birthday, I thought I would sing a song." There were a couple of cheers and then Tony yelled, "Get on with it!" Maya blinked in surprise at those words coming from her father, but shook it off and looked down at her guitar. Her fingers brushed across the strings and then she began to play.

"Good morning, you're leaving
I'll see you in the evening
My best friend till the end
My better half no pretend
Our language is sacred
Though people try to solve it
New adventures on the way," Maya sang.

Her eyes flickered over to her father who was just staring at her blankly. Maya looked at him in surprise, but quickly faked a smile and kept singing, hoping that her father would start to show some sort of reaction.

"You and me together
Take on the world forever
I know all your secrets
And I promise you I'm gonna keep them
I'll be there when you are feeling clueless
You and me, oh yeah we're seamless
Whoa, oh, yeah, whoa, oh."

Tony continued to stare at her with an emotionless face and Maya could feel her eyes starting to tear up a little at the fact that her father wasn't liking the song that she had written for him.

She quickly looked away from him and felt a stray tear roll down her face. Maya instead looked over at Pepper and Rhodey who had big smiles on their faces. That was just what she needed to continue.

"We're klutzy, but so lucky
That I always have you to catch me
We're partners in crime
You're stuck with me your whole life
So different, out of our minds
From a planet that's hard to find
Every second every day."

"You and me together-"

"Boo!"

"Take on-"