Shelter

Chapter 2

I needed to rest. I knew if I didn't, I'd die. I looked around me as I ran, my knotted, unbrushed hair whipping against my face. I slowly came to a halt. There was a small cave to the left of me, that looked safe enough. I walked up, holding my breath with the dagger Damasen had given me as a parting present held in my hand. I advanced towards the mouth of the cave, and peered inside. It was dark, but I had flint in my pocket that I could use to make fire. I cautiously walked into the cave, and sat down. I sat with my right leg out straight. I'd injured it, dislocated the knee I think, fighting... something. I don't know what it was, but it was bigger than me, and was definitely not human.

I looked around me, and saw a couple of twigs. It wouldn't make a great fire, but it was something, and I needed the light. I took the flints out of my pocket and struck them together once, twice, thrice, and then the fourth time, there was finally a spark. It caught one of the twigs, and a small flame formed.

I looked down at my leg, as soon as the fire started providing enough light. I was used to seeing all manner of injuries now, so the sight of my mangled leg and twisted knee didn't shock me. Slowly so as not to cause myself any extra pain, I put my hands to my kneecap, holding it either side. I took three deep breaths, and started counting down from five. At one, I pushed my kneecap back into place, and a yelp escaped my mouth. At that moment, I heard something move outside, and my hand flew to my mouth.

I bit down on my knuckles, the pain intense, and gripped my dagger tightly in my hand. I tried to slow and quieten my breathing. I didn't want to have to fight anything today, I was too tired. I saw a shadow approaching from outside, and I quickly blew out the tiny fire I had started. Great, there went the little light I had.

The shadow grew larger, and I heard a sniff. I was kind of annoyed. If that thing found me, I would have to defend myself. I heard one last sniff, then a deep sigh. A voice quietly muttered "I could have sworn I smelled demi-god." Another voice, slightly more raspy and high pitched than the other, replied:

"So did I. It might have been something to do with the splash earlier. I bet you anything that was a demi-god, come to close to the pit for their own good."

The lower voice sighed again and said "Well then, idiot, let's go and find it."

I heard footsteps moving away from the cave, and waited for what felt like an hour, until I was sure they were finally gone. I lowered my hand from my mouth, the pain in my leg having quieted down to a dull throb now. I shuffled further back into the cave and lay down on my side, facing outside. I clutched the sheathed dagger to my chest and closed my eyes. With any luck, nothing would come here for a while, and I would be safe.