Damasen

Chapter 8

"Wait, guys." I called after Annabeth and Bob, "I know where we have to go."

"What do you mean?" Annabeth asked.

"I know someone who can help us. Don't freak out when you meet him. I promise he's good. Just follow me." I took of at a light jog, and Annabeth and Bob started following.

"Where are we going?" Annabeth asked, "Who is it that can help us?"

"A... friend. I stayed with him for ages when I fell down here. He took care of me, made sure I was safe."

"Right. A nice person. In Tartarus. I can see that happening."

"No, really. I know it seems unbelievable, but please, you just have to trust me." Annabeth looked at me with narrowed eyes, then said:

"Ok. Alright. I guess we don't have a choice." Percy was murmuring nonsensical things behind us, slung over Bob's shoulder, and I heard him say 'Annabeth' a couple of times. He was fading, fast. I saw the familiar entrance to his hut, the bones and leather.

"Hey! Are you there? It's me, Isabella!" I stepped forward and poked my head into the hut, looking round. He wasn't in.

"He must be doing his duties." I explained when Annabeth shot me a questioning look. Bob looked so excited that I thought he was going to burst.

"Bob has missed this place." He said. At that moment, what sounded like hoof beats sounded on the floor behind us. Annabeth spun round, startled, and came face to face with the drakon.

"What is that?" Annabeth asked in an incredulous tone.

"A Maeonian drakon," Bob said in way of explanation, "From Maeonia." Annabeth looked terrified, and I saw a subtle change in her posture. She was getting ready to fight it. The love she had for Percy... it brought tears to my eyes. She would defend him to the death. In the little time I'd known them, down here in Tartarus, it had been like they were joined at the hip. It was sweet. I stepped forward and put my hands on Annabeth's shoulders.

"Annabeth, it's ok. He'll come in a second and kill it."

"WHO IS HE?" Annabeth yelled at me. Just then, I saw him on the horizon. He thundered over, and with a roar he whacked the drakon's neck with his fist. The drakon went limp. Then, the giant turned to look at me.

"Isabella?" He said, in a disbelieving tone, then came over and gave me a hearty pat on the back.

"Hey." I smiled at him, then turned to look at Annabeth. "Annabeth," I said "Meet Damasen. He can heal Percy."