Close your eyes and jump

Chapter 3

My eyes flew open, and I sat up with a start. My sleep was never dreamless. And I never seemed to have nice dreams. I'd just dreamt that there was a war, and a huge person in the sky. There were Roman centurions, and other kids dressed in what I though might be Greek armour. They were all armed and fighting, and there was so much death you could smell it in the air. The person in the sky was killing left right and centre. And then, there was a brilliant fireball, and it exploded in the sky, taking the giant person with it. Then, a flash of some sort of statue, and then I woke up.

I drew my knees to my chest, and rubbed my temples with my palms. I didn't ever understand my dreams, but that had been up there with some of the worst. I stood up, carefully testing out how my knee felt. I could walk on it, so it was fine. I left the cave, making a note of the surroundings around it so I could find it again if necessary.

I walked for what felt like days, coming across only small monsters that weren't difficult for me to kill. I was tired, but not to the point where I felt like I was going to pass out, and I could only sleep if I got to that point. Time was too precious. I didn't even know if there was a way out, but if there was, I had to find it.

My leg was still twinging, but I felt like I could manage it, so I started walking towards the River Phlegethon. I cam to the ledge, and started to make my way down. My arms shook from the exertion I was putting on my muscles, but it was a feeling I was used to now. I reached the bottom of the cliff, and carefully jumped down. I ran to the river bank, and, without hesitating, scooped a palm full of the liquid fire into my mouth. It burned, but it was the only source of nourishment I had. I choked it down and scooped up another palm full for good measure.

Slowly, I stood up, and was pleased to see that the fire had healed the pain in my leg. I went to scale the cliff again, when I heard a rumble from behind me. I spun around to see what was causing the noise, my hand already on the hilt of my dagger. The floor was shaking, and I could see a massive outline on the horizon. Shit. Giant. I could see his eyes glistening, and I heard a chuckle. I knew he had spotted me. I turned back again, and ran as fast as I could. I knew he would catch up to me, but I had to try.

I ran, and ran, and ran, but the giant never gave up chase. I looked around desperately, trying to recognise some of my surroundings. There was a crack between two rocks. I didn't have any choice. I was going to die anyway. I closed my eyes, and jumped.