I want to say hello to the stars again

Chapter 11

I woke up before Annabeth, but her eyes flew open as soon as I moved. I guessed it must have been a response to the danger she usually found herself in. I could hear Bob and Damasen talking so I slowly moved a finger to my lips to make sure Annabeth didn't say anything.

"And if you cannot guide them past Night?" I heard Damasen ask.

"I have to." Bob replied.

"Why? What have the demi-gods given you? They have erased your old self, everything you were. Titans and giants... we are meant to be the foes of the gods and their children. Are we not?"

"Then why did you help Isabella? And heal the boy?" Bob asked in reply. Go Bob! I thought.

"I think..." Damasen hesitated for a second, then continued, "I think I find these three demigods intriguing. They are resilient to have made it this far, especially Isabella. That is admirable. Still, how can we help them any further? It is not our fate."

Perhaps." Bob sounded uncomfortable. "But... do you like our fate?"

Damasen chortled. "What a question. Does anyone like his fate?"

"I liked being Bob, before I started to remember..." the conversation trailed off. I still held my finger to my lips, and Annbeth gave a small nod. After a couple of minutes, Bob said "Damasen, do you remember the sun?"

I heard the giant exhale through his nose. "Yes." he replied. "It was yellow. When it touched the horizon, it turned the sky beautiful colours."

"I miss the sun. The stars too. I would like to say hello to the stars again."

At that touching moment, the drakon roared and Percy sat bolt upright. Annabeth leapt up.

"What? What- where- what?" He sounded confused, and slightly scared. Annabeth reached him and wrapped her arms round his shoulders.

"It's okay." She told him, but he was still very alert.

"That noise... where are we?"

"How much do you remember?" Annabeth asked him. I noticed that all his cuts had healed. Damasen could do great things.

"I- the demon grandmothers- and then... not much."

Damasen interjected there. "There is no time, little mortals. The drakon is returning. I fear its roar will draw the others- my brethren, hunting you. They will be here within minutes."

"What will you tell them when they get here?" I asked, concerned. Damasen smiled at me.

"What is there to tell? Nothing of significance, as long as you are gone. With that he tossed three drakon leather backpacks, one to me, one to Annabeth, and one to Percy.

"Clothes, food, drink." He explained. I noticed that Bob was wearing a similar, although larger, backpack.

Annabeth looked like she was thinking hard, then I saw her face light up. "The Prophecy of Seven." I'm sorry, I thought, the prophecy of what? Percy climbed out of his bed and frowned.

"What about it?" He asked.

"You have to come with us. The prophecy says foes bear arms to the Doors of Death. I thought it meant Romans and Greeks, but that's not it. The line means us- demigods, a Titan, a giant. We need you to close the doors."

"I cannot, child." Damasen said in response. "My fate is here."

"Then find another fate."

Damasen shook his head.

"Look at me! Remember my face. When you're ready, come find me. We'll take you to the mortal world with us. You can see the sunlight and stars."

I heard Polybotes call to his followers in the distance. "THE SEA GOD'S SON! HE IS CLOSE!"

"Annabeth," Percy said urgently, grabbing her hand, "That's our cue to leave." I thoroughly agreed with him.

"Wait." Damasen said, and he pulled something out of his belt. It was a drakon bone sword, a larger version of my dagger. It was honed to a deadly edge and had a leather grip. Annabeth took it gratefully.

"One last gift for the child of Athena. I cannot have you walking to your death unarmed. Now, go! Before it is too late." Annabeth looked like she wanted to cry.

"We must leave." Bob said, and Percy agreed.

"He's right, Annabeth."

We ran for the entrance. I didn't look back, but it broke my heart when I heard Damasen's voice crack as he roared his battle cry, advancing towards the drakon, his old enemy, yet again.