Asking for help

Chapter 10

Annabeth woke up before Percy. I watched as she glanced over at him, looking worried and disappointed when she discovered that he hadn't woken up. Damasen noticed that Annabeth had woken from her slumber. He cleared his throat and said "You know, I require payment for my services." I saw Annabeth's face go white. I elbowed Damasen. How could he be so stupid? She was obviously distressed. I admired her courage when she nodded her head and said

"Uh... what sort of payment?" I looked at Damasen, hoping that it wouldn't be too heavy a price to pay. I wanted to say that she was my friend, and that of course there was no charge, but Damasen got there before me.

"A story. It gets boring in Tartarus. You can tell me your story while we eat, eh?" he said,with a twinkle in his eye. Annabeth nodded, and Damasen went and poured out four bowls of Drakon stew, one for him, one for me, one for Annabeth and one for Bob.

I listened intently as Annabeth told us about her previous adventures with Percy. They'd returned the lightening bolt to Zeus, found the golden fleece, been trapped on Circe's island, Annabeth had given up immortality for Percy, heck, Percy had been offered the opportunity of becoming a god. I looked at the teenager sleeping on the floor beside us. I could definitely believe that they'd done all of those things. You could see it on their bodies, but I could see it more in their eyes. Both of them had an air about them, like they'd had to grow up too quickly, like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders. From what Annabeth told me about her time with Atlas, the man who holds up the sky, I supposed they literally both had at one point.

I stole a glance at Bob as Annabeth explained the circumstances around him losing his memory, trying to gauge his reaction. He didn't seem to have much of one,he just picked up his bowl and cleaned it with his squirt bottle and rag.

I was shocked when she explained about the quest she was on right now, with Percy and five other demi-gods, travelling on a boat called the Argo II. They were just kids, and they had to save the world from the threat that was Mother Earth. I heard her voice falter as she mentioned Gaia. "She's um... she's your mom, right?" She asked Damasen.

"Yes," Damasen replied as he scraped his bowl, "And Tartarus is my father. As you can see," he gestured around him, "I was a disappointment to my parents. They expected... more from me."

"So...," Annabeth asked, "You don't mind us fighting your mom?" I already knew the answer would be go for it. Damasen had told me his story during the time I had been living with him, and I knew that he did not have a good relationship with his mother. Damasen snorted.

"Best of luck," Damasen told her, "At present, it's my father you should worry about. With him opposing you, you have no chance to survive." From the look on Annabeth's face, I suddenly realised that she didn't know about Tartarus being, well, literally Tartarus. Or at least, one manifestation of him.

I sat in silence as Damasen explained to Annabeth about Tartarus being Tartarus, and how he was trying to thwart them with every step they took. When Annabeth told him about trying to close the doors of death, Damasen laughed.

"Impossible," he told her, "The doors are too well guarded."

Annabeth frowned. "But you know where they are?"

"Of course," Damasen boasted, "But you cannot make it there alive with only Iapetus."

"Then come with us," Annabeth replied, "Help us."

Damasen laughed again at that,and I head Percy mutter 'ha ha ha' deliriously in his sleep.

"Child of Athena," he told her "I am not your friend. I helped mortals once, and you see where it got me." Annabeth looked confused, so Damasen went on explaining about his mortal friend who was killed by a drakon. I zoned out. Annabeth was a child of Athena, the goddess of wisdom and battle strategy. I didn't know how I knew that she was the goddess of wisdom and battle strategy, I just did. That gave me hope. If anyone could get us out of Tartarus, it would be her, with her knowledge. I made a mental note to ask Percy about his godly parentage at some point.

After Damasen's speech, I realised how tired I felt. I looked to Annabeth. Despite the two hours she'd just grabbed, she looked as bad as before. "Annabeth," I said, "We should get some sleep. We're going to need to be fully rested if we're going to survive the rest of this." Annabeth's eyes narrowed, but I saw her resolve crumble. I turned to Damasen.

"Can you keep watch again?" I asked him. He nodded. Yawning, I turned onto my side, and slept.