Going under

Now I will tell you what I've done for you

Fifty thousand tears I've cried

Screaming deceiving and bleeding for you

And you still won't hear me

-Going under, Evanescence

a few months later -6 1/2 months pregnant

-----------------------------------------------------------

Rob hadn't heard from her for almost 7 months. It seemed like after that night in New Orleans she had just up and disappeared. He had long ago given up trying to contact her. Her phone number had changed over the years and no one could or wanted to tell him where she was.

It was over the past few days that he was more than desperately trying to get a hold of her. Ever since he had seen her picture on the cover of people's magazine in a check out line under bump watch. He didn't know if the pictures were true, but there was a possibility they were.

"Come on man just tell me where she Is?" Rob begged Tom as they were sitting on the couch at his place.

"Dude, you know I can't do that."

"Then can you at least tell me if the pictures are true?"

"Rob, man. I shouldn't be telling you this but I did see Kristen the other night with Stella and she did look very pregnant."

"Fuck" Rob whispered. "Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"Why do you even care?"

"BECAUSE IM THE FATHER!" He yelled. Catching Tom off guard

"What man?"

Rob sighed before taking a seat back on the couch. Noone was supposed to know about that night, but he didn't really have a choice now.

"Kristen and I...we may have slept together in New Orleans. We were both drunk, neither of us wanted to speak about that night again."

"I'll text you her address man. The only reason I am doing this is that I do believe a father has a right to know his child."

A little while later Robert found himself on his way to Kristen's house. He wasn't sure how he was going to react, or how she would. He would take whatever came his way.

Walking through the gate and up the driveway, rob mentally prepared himself for how this could go. He didn't even realize he had knocked but soon he saw her, standing in the doorframe in a two-piece Victoria secret pajama set that outlined her bump perfectly. Her short buzz cut blonde hair sat perfectly on her head. She was wearing no makeup, looking tired, pale and sort of withdrawn if he was completely honest. She looked like she was high on drugs and hoped that wasn't the case.

"I knew this would happen eventually" she muttered before opening the door all the way.

"Good to see you too."

"Sorry, I'm exhausted. The baby kept me up most of the night"

"So it's true"

"Obviously, I didn't just gain weight," she said sarcastically.

"Babe, who is it?" A voice came from behind Kristen. Stella came up and wrapped her arms around Kristen's form, gently rubbing her bump. Rob would have been lying if he said he wasn't jealous.

"Stella, Rob and I need to talk. I think we are going to use the kitchen if you don't mind?"

"Of course not babe. I'll be upstairs if you need me."

"Thank you." She watched Stella walk away before turning back to Rob. "Come in, I need to grab something to eat."

Walking towards the kitchen, Kristen began talking again.

"You know, pregnancy is supposed to make you eat. Nothing has changed in that department" she laughed. She grabbed a jello out of the fridge before settling at the island. "Do you want anything? Coffee?"

"No, I'm good. So how have you been?"

"Ok I guess, I'm glad you came today. I know we wanted to forget that night, obviously, I haven't been able too."

"Why didn't you contact me?"

"What was I suppose to say, Rob? Hey, that night we produced a baby? Rob, we wanted kids when we were together. I got pregnant once and lost the baby and now we aren't even together and I'm over here carrying your child."

"I know Kris, I know."

"Anyway, I wanted to talk to you. Rob, I want you to have custody of this baby."

"Why wouldn't I? You know I'll be here to see him or her all the time."

"No Rob that's not what I mean."

Rob gave her a confused look.

"I'm cutting ties with this baby, I'm signing over all my parental rights to you. As soon as he is born he will be yours. I don't want anything to do with him."

"Kristen?" Rob said shocked. This wasn't the Kristen he knew. The old Kristen would have never said anything like that. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, Rob I'm with Stella now. I almost lost her because of this. She found out about that night when I found out I was pregnant. Rob, I came so close to aborting our baby. I was on the table, ready to get rid of him. But I couldn't, I didn't have the heart to do it."

"I'm glad you didn't but Kristen, I want you to be absolutely sure about this."

"I've already talked it over with my ob and Stella."

"Do you know how you want this to go?"

Kristen nodded her head while shoving another spoonful into her mouth. "As soon as he is born, he will be handed to you."

"Do you want to hold him at all?"

"No, not really, like I said. I'm cutting all ties and if I hold him..I might get attached and I can't have that. Anyway, I've requested that he stay in the nursery or wherever you can be with him just not in my room. Stella will be staying with me for my hospital stay." Kristen sat the spoon down before gripping the countertop. She let out a shaky breath before looking back up at Robert, tears clouding her vision. "Please just promise me something" she whispered.

"Anything..."

"Please, take care of him. He didn't ask to be in this fucked up situation. He needs one of his parents there for him."

"I promise" he whispered back. "You can see him if you ever want too."

"I won't want to, maybe in a few years. I don't know right now. Also before you ask or not ask, I'm not breastfeeding in the hospital. I've already explained my wishes to everyone. Stella said she would help if I wanted to keep the baby, but number one, I can't do that to her and two, I don't want to."

"So when is this happening?"

"Well, my due date is December 10th but we all know first babies are usually late. I just hope he is out of me before Christmas."

"Why?"

"Because I'm going to my mom's for Christmas, my brothers and my dad will be there."

"Don't they know you are pregnant?"

"No, I never told them. They have seen the tabloids and called me but I said they were fake."

"Why Kristen?"

"Because I can picture it now. My mom finds out I'm pregnant and she will fight me tooth and nail to keep it. It will be her first grandchild and would be heartbroken to know I'm not keeping him."

"Kristen it doesn't have to be like that."

"Yes, it does" Kristen seethed "you don't know how hard I fought to get my life back on track after we broke up and now it's all up in flames."

Obviously, he wasn't going to get anywhere with her. He left the house frustrated and confused. Kristen was definitely not the same person he remembered.