Broken

The broken clock is a comfort

It lets me sleep tonight

Maybe it can stop tomorrow

From stealing all my time

I am here still waiting

I still have my doubts

I am damaged at best

Like you've already figured out

I'm falling apart

I'm barely breathing

With a broken heart

That's still beating

-Broken Lifehouse

December 16th, 2017

--------------------------------------------

It was 3 in the afternoon when Kristen went into labor. It was now a few minutes past 6 in the evening and her labor had stalled. She had been stuck at 4cm for the past few hours and her patience was wearing thin. She couldn't get the epidural just yet and the pain was too much for her to bear.

Stella was holding her hand as they walked up and down the hallways of the hospital. Rob was trailing behind, not sure if Kristen wanted him to touch her. He couldn't believe that he was about to be a father, a single father at that. His little boy was almost here.

Heading back to the room, Kristen fell into bed as a contraction came on. She screamed out as Stella adjusted the blanket for her. It was hard for her to see her girlfriend like this and she also vowed to never have kids.

Time went by slowly, it was not until after 10 pm that she was finally able to get the epidural. Instant relief was brought to her and she was able to fall asleep even for just a little while.

Things were awkward in the hospital room. Stella was holding Kristen's hand while she slept. Rob was sitting on the couch, occupying himself in his phone. Once in a while, their eyes would meet but neither party would say anything. What were they suppose to talk about? Hey, how do you like my ex?

Once in a while Kristen would moan and whimper in her sleep, breaking both their hearts. Rob still didn't understand that even after all this pain she was going through, she still did not want anything to do with their baby. He still didn't see the logic in it.

It was shortly after 3 in the morning when Kristen woke, the epidural had worn off. The contractions were coming one right after another and she cried out with each one.

"PLEASE JUST MAKE THIS FUCKING STOP" she screamed to no one in particular.

Stella was frustrated she couldn't help her. Once again the nurse came in to check Kristen's dialation.

"Only 8cm" the nurse nervously smiled. Making Kristen groan. Why was this taking so long she wondered.

"Come on dude just get out of me" she groaned. Her patience was long gone, she was done.

"It will be soon sweetheart." Stella soothed. Trying to calm Kristen down as much as she could.

"I wanna try walking again," Kristen said. She was willing to do anything to relieve the pressure. Stella helped her out of the bed and they repeated the same process as they did earlier.

By the time they got back to the room, Kristen couldn't stop crying. If it was even possible, the pain had gotten worse and the urge to start pushing became unbearable.

"Can one of you go and get a nurse please" Kristen begged. Stella quickly left the room. Kristen gripped the rail of the bed, squeezing the life out of it.

The nurse checked Kristen again, smiling at her discovery.

"It's show time" she smiled.

"Oh my god, thank god!" Kristen panted. The small hospital room suddenly got busy.

32 minutes later, Carson Jaymes Pattinson was born. His cries rang out in the hospital room as Kristen fell back against the pillow with her eyes closed, heavily panting.

Rob followed as his son was taken out of the room and only then did Kristen open her eyes. Silent tears fell from her eyes as the nurse helped her deliver the placenta.

"You did so good sweetheart," Stella said as she planted her lips against Kristen.

"I'm glad it's over" Kristen whispered as she pulled away. After getting a few stitches she was moved out of labor and delivery and into the maternity ward. She was beyond exhausted and ended up falling asleep almost straight away while Stella sat by her side

 She was beyond exhausted and ended up falling asleep almost straight away while Stella sat by her side

Meanwhile, Rob was with the baby as they got him cleaned up and weighed. He smiled and let out a little chuckle as he watched his son cry in the little bed type thing as the nurses were checking him over. He couldn't believe his son was finally here.

He couldn't believe how tiny the baby was when he was finally placed in his arms. Weighing in at 5lb 7oz Carson was tiny but healthy. He watched as Carson yawned and snuggled more into him. He settled in a rocking chair in the back of the nursery, carefully removing the blue hat that had been put on the baby. Revealing his light blonde hair, obviously taking after his mother in that department.

Carefully he ran his hand over Carson's head, watching as the baby turned his head and let out little noises in response.

"Hey there buddy, I'm your daddy" Rob whispered tears coming to his eyes. He thought about how he should be with Kristen while they both loved their child but that wasn't ever going to be the case. He held his little boy tighter and pressed his lips against his forehead. "Daddy will always be here for you, I love you, little man."