Chapter Nineteen~He's dead

Sooo...yeah...don't kill me

Anyways-Enjoy!

I felt like I was going to faint.

The entire world was in a fog. Luke was talking into his phone, but his voice was far away and I would never be able to remember what he said. I knew my Chosen were there with me, that North was on my other side, but I felt alone in that moment. Fear was my only companion.

The only thing I could seem to focus on was North's Jeep. To someone else they might think someone had used gold spray paint to create the volto mask and threatening words, but I knew better. It was blood.

Gold, slightly glowing blood. Dripping down and fresh in its wetness. Volto somehow had gotten the blood of a pure Angel.

My first thought was that it might be mine, after all Marie had sold pints of it. But it had been too long since she'd gotten blood from me, it would be formed into solid gold by now, loosing its magic and becoming nothing but a mineral. Even if my blood was melted again it wouldn't shimmer like this.

Somewhere else there was another pure Angel whose blood had been stolen. The question was, was the Angel still alive? Or had Volto taken the blood from a corpse?

Volto had already tried to stab me, and my mind seemed too horrifyingly eager to assume that whoever's blood was smeared all over the car would no longer be alive.

"Get her out of here." North gently pushed me towards Luke, even as his voice was urgent, "Take her back into the diner."

"What?" My mind was quickly having to catch up, "No-no, we can't leave you. Volto is out there, he might be nearby." My powers were already surging with protectiveness, if Volto came now I had no doubt that I would stop him.

"Damnit Sang, now isn't the time," North swore while Luke starting tugging me away. He was still on the phone talking to someone telling them what was happening, but I paid no mind to what he was saying.

What was I missing? I pulled my hand from Luke easily, and slid past North only to stop a second later. So focused on the horrifying vandalism I hadn't bothered to look beyond the Jeep. My Chosen had been trying to shield me from it, somehow knowing I hadn't seen it before.

The corpse of a newly deceased vice principle, McCoy was on the other side of the Jeep.

His eyelids were wide open, but his eye sockets were empty were his eyes had been removed. McCoy's skin was already grey from death, but his face still appeared to be alive with his mouth wide open in a horror's scream. He'd been killed by a knife, plunged deeply into his chest, directly into his heart. Blackened blood stained his dress shirt, but wasn't pooled around him. He'd been killed somewhere else and brought here.

I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to scream and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to feel. He'd hurt me-but now he was dead. In my mind McCoy had been a monster, but someone else-Volto-had killed him.

McCoy was dead.

I stumbled back and placed my hands over my eyes, wishing to unsee it, not wanting the memory forever imprinted into my mind.

A hand was placed on my arm and I jerked back away from it. When I moved my hands down though, I saw it was only North. It wasn't Volto.

His eyes appeared slightly hurt from me flinching away, but North seemed to understand that I didn't mean it because he quickly wrapped his arms around me, lifting me into the air.

"It's okay, Sang Baby," he told me as my arms wrapped around his strong muscular frame, "It's going to be okay."

I couldn't respond to him though, my mouth seemed to be glued shut, and all I could do was tremble in his arms. Knowing Volto could kill me and actually seeing the aftermath of one of his kills was two different things. He truly could have killed me on Monday. Volto wasn't like my parents who just wanted to hurt me-no-Volto was toying with me, like a predator played with its prey.