Chapter Thirty Three~The End of The World

Why haven't I updated? Many reasons, but let's blame the kittens I'm fostering! They're too cute to get mad at! Exhibit A^

Father had stabbed me. He'd gotten mad at me and stabbed me.

It wasn't the thought a normal girl would think, but as I looked into my father's cold unfeeling eyes I knew it wouldn't be the last time for him to do this. The only difference is I wasn't sure what I had done this time. Usually I'd be told what I'd done wrong, but this time father had just come home in a bad mood. His face had been beet red and there were dark shadows underneath his face, he looked equally exhausting and terrifying.

There hadn't even been time to try to hide from him or run up to my room. His dull eyes had immediately located me and he'd dragged me to the kitchen without a word. Without a second thought he'd rummaged a butcher knife out of one of the drawers and plunged it into my stomach three times.

It had been so abrupt and sudden my head hadn't even wrapped around it before I'd fallen to the ground bleeding golden blood. I was dying again, alone with no one with me, no one to care for me. If I died right now, would it even matter?

I knew I'd come back to life, but in that moment I just wished for it to all be over. I didn't want to keep waking up to this terrible reality, I just wanted it to be gone, I wanted to be gone. There wasn't anything for me here except for pain and torment. But I knew I couldn't die forever, there were people out there relying on me, even if they didn't know I existed.

My last heartbeat was spent wishing my Chosen could be with me, but I was all alone and I always would be. No one would be able to love me if my own father couldn't.

"It's alright," a calm soothing voice spoke as I was stirred from my sleep, "you're fine. It's just a dream."

My first thought was that it wasn't, that I'd been killed. How many times had I died? I'd served Volto's purpose, I'd been too blind to see that he wasn't my father, that my stepmother wasn't my actual mother. I prided myself on being smart, but I'd been too stupid to realize that I lived with monsters.

A tear slid down my face, but I couldn't hide from reality for much longer. Mentally I gathered my strength and opened my eyes, only to peer into Lucian's chocolate pools. I was instantly confused. What was he doing here? Was this reality? Or the first dream I'd ever experienced?

His eyes were filled with tears, and I realized that it was him that was holding me and not Gabriel like I'd thought. He was silent and still as I lifted my hand up to gently cup his face feeling the slight peach fuzz dusting his cheeks.

"You're here," I breathed out confused. Gabriel had coaxed me to sleep, but now I'd awoken in Luke's arms. What had happened?

He smiled slightly even as his eyes held sadness and defeat, "I am, Forever."

Happiness bubbled in me and for a moment reality disappeared before I realized where we were and what was happening. "You're here," I repeated this time sorrowfully. Death was what would great us in this place. There was no happily ever after for us. "I'm so sorry," I started apologizing as Luke wiped the tears away from my cheeks.