Chapter Thirty One~Together

My best friend has breast cancer, her name is Mia Bella which means my beautiful in Italian. She's the strongest fiercest person I know, but I'm terrified right now. This year has been a heart ache of pain, and I can't help but wonder how much further fate wants to torment me and those I love.

Take this moment to tell someone that you love them, because sometimes it might be too late.

~A~

There was a tension in the air, a feeling of defeat, struggle, and pain. Sean leaned against the door to the hospital room Gabriel had been staying in.

White walls, white floors, even the bench was white. If Gabriel hadn't been crazy going in, he'd be crazy from staying in here. Gabriel always mentioned that there was nothing worse than white walls, unless of course it was an accent wall. Sean had been told that too many times to count with his condo and had eventually allowed Gabriel to do what he wished with it.

"The door shouldn't have been able to be opened." Owen stressed for the tenth time, "Only high security members can open these doors. There wasn't anyone who could have opened them. All the deceased are nurses and new doctors. There's only four people in the entire hospital who could have opened the door, and none of them were at the hospital at the time this occurred."

"I know, Owen." Sean sighed, "but somehow Gabe's door was opened, and now he's out there somewhere."

The doors had been sealed with magic, the purpose of the unfeeling colorless room was to prevent magic from working within the room when the door was closed. It was a way to keep Angels, Demons, and other magic users such as Chosen contained. They couldn't hurt themselves in those rooms, or others. Even though Gabriel hadn't discovered his magic yet, they still had to take precautions incase he discovered it while being here. It was supposed to be the most secure room in the entire hospital. But Volto was apparently on an entire other playing field.

"We made a rule," Owen continued, "Stay in groups of three, no one is left alone, but we left Gabriel."

"I know, Owen," Sean said in a heavy warning voice, guilt was eating at his soul and hearing all the things they'd done wrong wasn't making it better, "we'll find him."

"Will we though?" Luke's voice came hoarsely behind them, the turned and looked at his bloodshot eyes, "We can't even find Volto. We haven't even found one of their meeting places." Luke paused before finishing quietly, "We don't even know if Gabe is still alive."

"Luke," Sean started speaking but Luke took a step back tears coming to his eyes.

"No. No. You're not allowed to say that everything's going to be okay-because it's not. Everything's turned into a nightmare ever since we lost Sang and it hasn't even been a full week." Luke angrily wiped a tear away, "This is pointless. Volto has won for over thirty years, and he'll just keep winning."

"Should we just stop then?" Owen questioned in a cool voice, "Let Volto keep Gabriel, let him keep killing innocent people?"

Luke shook his head, "No," he stumbled out, "no, but what we're doing isn't working. We're doing the exact thing the Academy is doing and we're failing-just like the Academy."

That struck a cord in both Owen and Sean. It was true. The Academy had tried to follow the Demons, had tried to find their hideouts, had tried to spy on them, but it hadn't gotten them anywhere. Now the nine-or eight-of them had done the same thing with no results.

Owen's and Sean's mind roamed over what they could do, but what could they?

"What else can we do?" Sean asked, as nothing came to mind.