15

Alexander got suspended for the rest of the week. He asked me to skip school and stayed at his place. I couldn't turn down his offer. He has been a really good friend and what he needs now is a friend. When we got back to his place, we talked for a bit and went to bed. It was kind of awkward. He didn't touch me like he usually does at night, he just slept still and silently. I woke up the next day to him on his phone next to me.

"Hey. How're you feeling? Want to talk about it?" I said

"What's there to talk about? He was making fun of you and I took care of it."

"I didn't ask you to do it though."

He got up out of bed obviously frustrated.

"And I was just supposed to sit there while he said all this shit about?!"

"I didn't mean it like that."

He grabbed his phone and smashed it to the ground. You could hear the million of pieces of glass hit the hard ground. Everything went silent except the sound of Alexander crying. I walked towards him and sat down giving him a little hug.

"Shh. It's okay. It'll be alright." I said in a soothing voice

"Y-you know what my dad said to me a couple of weeks before he died?" He said while crying

"What?"

"He said if I ever became a fag he'll kill me himself."

I heart dropped. How could someone so evil, so terrible have a kid that's so sweet and understanding.

"He's gone now, you don't have to worry."

"Every time I close my eyes, I see him beating up my mom while I sat there doing nothing. She hates me now because of it. I see it in her eyes every time she looks at me, and that's why she's never around, she doesn't want to see me."

"That's not true Alex. You know that's not true."

He got up and started to yell.

"But it is fucking true! He took away everything I fucking had! My mom, my life, my memories, my childhood. He may be dead but he has destroyed my life."

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't say anything. I could see how hurt he was. How unstable he was. I wish I could take away his pain, I wish I could be him for a day so he would have one day without suffering. I wish I could help.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He said pleading

"You don't have to apologize."

"Clayton." He said looking right at me. "Thank you for being a true friend, thank you for always needing here. We might've only know each other for a short time, but I feel as if you've been in my life forever. Thank you."

My heart melted. Alexander saying I am a true friend? I wasn't going to let anyone hurt him.